hei upgrade worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEHoss24

Reaction score
Hello
looking to get a few more hp and/or mpgs out of my work truck. I know the two do not go together always but also know that to a certain point they can.

I have a 1991 k2500 5,7 4l80e with 4.10 gears completely stock 132k

I am going with ultimate tbi mods, hypertech hypercharger tbi spacer and fuel injector spacer harris chips towing chip. I have been looking at adding a davis unified hei upgrade as well. I did a search but found little.

any thoughts as far as what I plan on doing is appreciated but looking for hei question mostly

thanks

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like mentioned above that is for the older type HEI used from 74-86 in 1/2 ton's, it won't work in a TBI truck. Also I have had several of the stock type replacement coils for TBI truck's quit, I have had an MSD and Accel both quit, so I would stick with a good ac delco coil, and get a good cap and rotor, and make sure the cap has brass terminal's.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hypercharger or whatever it's called is an overpriced saldbowl. buy a cheap salad bowl and make one yourself. a tbi spacer does basically nothing, now the injector pod spacer I hear is good.

You want more look into cold air kit or open element to free up the air flow, headers and exhaust etc.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
hypercharger or whatever it's called is an overpriced saldbowl. buy a cheap salad bowl and make one yourself. a tbi spacer does basically nothing, now the injector pod spacer I hear is good.

You want more look into cold air kit or open element to free up the air flow, headers and exhaust etc.

TBI spacers actually work great on TBI trucks, they do NOTHING on 1996+

NEHoss24

Reaction score
got it on the hei!! The air flow mods and chip are def happening as far as headers go I am going to drive it awhile with the new cat and exhaust before I go ther. I am looking for torque for towing not 1/4 mile times and I want to go the path of do some mods see what what happens and track it. Not real scientific but just being me. Also need to replace inner front fenders so when that happens may be a good time to look at headers as well.

Thanks for the input