hei upgrade worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEHoss24

Reaction score
not sue how many ponies you/I will get out of a spacer but the mpgs will be better. Also one of teh big drawbacks to carbs is if they are running to rich you get cylinder wash with the fuel overload so if its burning its not washing. Its a simple bolt on that helps its not meant to turn our trucks into corvettes. So many things are left on the design room floor from the manufacturers due to cost and production line issues.

NEHoss24

Reaction score
I intend to do a mpg comparison before and after mods. I have done mods before and seen differences overall in the long run not just in the beggining. I drive 35-45k a year and check mpgs at every fill up so it will be interesting. Even a 2-3mpg improvement for me will be huge

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
you got me buddy, I'm stuck, I was thinking as all of you said they'd work, and do what all of you said, like a carb spacer, better fuel atomization. They kept saying it was not the case it only stored air to help with the throttle mash so it wouldn't bog.

I think they need to do some dyno tests if they haven't already stock and then with spacer.

That was just all the stuff they had said. I could understand it doing both, but that's the whole point of high rise intakes and such to better atomize the fuel mixture.

Since TBI is basically a carb, it works JUST like a carb spacer, they are thinking of 1996+ EFI.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
WOW and I say wow again, I just do not know where to start with this one. here is what I have been told as I grew up, and it has worked for me.......so far :) open plennum intake with long runners,and long large tube headers help on the top end, where as a low profile dual plain intake, shorty small tube headers help on the low end. with that said there are obviously different methods to get from here to there. any time you lengthen the intake, post throttle blades (hi vacume erea), or precollector (hi pressure) you move your "power band" up in the rpm range. and if you shorten things the "power band" moves down. most people misinterpret this shift in power "timing" as an improvement, when in reality it isn't. the manufactures are playing a numbers game with us, and we just buy the ball-o-***** and like the tast of it. next time there is a power improvement look at the RPM where it all happens, pre mod, and post mod, I'll bet the rpm's are vastly different. if you go by same RPM's the improement Vs stock is minute and often negative. but yes either lower or higher RPM showed an improvement, but like I said,"just moving the power band arround"
I guess what I am saying is that most nickle and dime mods are smoke and mirrors. and played on us like they do to the tuner boys, XX% improvement from product X, and after you figure all of the percentages up they have accumulated 398% improvement over stock. hence 1200 hp out of a 1.8l gasser LMAO. I am not tryin to urinate in anybodys branflakes, just put in my 9 cents (inflation you know)

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
WOW and I say wow again, I just do not know where to start with this one. here is what I have been told as I grew up, and it has worked for me.......so far :) open plennum intake with long runners,and long large tube headers help on the top end, where as a low profile dual plain intake, shorty small tube headers help on the low end. with that said there are obviously different methods to get from here to there. any time you lengthen the intake, post throttle blades (hi vacume erea), or precollector (hi pressure) you move your "power band" up in the rpm range. and if you shorten things the "power band" moves down. most people misinterpret this shift in power "timing" as an improvement, when in reality it isn't. the manufactures are playing a numbers game with us, and we just buy the ball-o-***** and like the tast of it. next time there is a power improvement look at the RPM where it all happens, pre mod, and post mod, I'll bet the rpm's are vastly different. if you go by same RPM's the improement Vs stock is minute and often negative. but yes either lower or higher RPM showed an improvement, but like I said,"just moving the power band arround"
I guess what I am saying is that most nickle and dime mods are smoke and mirrors. and played on us like they do to the tuner boys, XX% improvement from product X, and after you figure all of the percentages up they have accumulated 398% improvement over stock. hence 1200 hp out of a 1.8l gasser LMAO. I am not tryin to urinate in anybodys branflakes, just put in my 9 cents (inflation you know)

Alot of that applies to CARB only, TBI makes torque at lower RPM with a single plane then a carb would, Dual planes are a crutch for carbs.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I believe you just ait gotten to studdy it much, gitten to the point of Git-R-Done and drive it LOL

P.S. what is with all of these knotheads changing over to carb on the LS series motors???? am I stupid or what????