Possible 4L80 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHB3

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have 94 gmc 6.5 3500 with a 4L80. My problem is that I can put it in reverse. And push the accelerator sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't. There is no strange noises and the fun part is when I mash peddle to the floor with it in gear the engine does rev up. Shifting it to drive does the same thing but not as frequent. Any suggestions would appreciated.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have 94 gmc 6.5 3500 with a 4L80. My problem is that I can put it in reverse. And push the accelerator sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't. There is no strange noises and the fun part is when I mash peddle to the floor with it in gear the engine does rev up. Shifting it to drive does the same thing but not as frequent. Any suggestions would appreciated.
Do you have third gear when in D or D3? When did this start happening? Any recent transmission work?

If so, drop the pan and check the seals on the low reverse servo piston to see if they are worn or hardened (sometimes this happens, esp if the vehicle goes through a long period of disuse...

Whatever you do, don't keep revving it up like that in reverse unless you want to destroy your low reverse band and have to yank the unit out, overhaul it.

JHB3

Reaction score
Do you have third gear when in D or D3? When did this start happening? Any recent transmission work?

If so, drop the pan and check the seals on the low reverse servo piston to see if they are worn or hardened (sometimes this happens, esp if the vehicle goes through a long period of disuse...

Whatever you do, don't keep revving it up like that in reverse unless you want to destroy your low reverse band and have to yank the unit out, overhaul it.
Yes I have drive. The truck will go down the & shift through all the gears, but seems sluggish. The truck was shifting hard at one point but it was not the last time. I took it down the road.
All this just started happening recently. I just started back working on the truck. No transmission work has been done since I have had it.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I have drive. The truck will go down the & shift through all the gears, but seems sluggish. The truck was shifting hard at one point but it was not the last time. I took it down the road.
All this just started happening recently. I just started back working on the truck. No transmission work has been done since I have had it.
Drop the pan and see what's on the bottom. If you see a whole lot of clutch material, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul. Otherwise follow my suggestion above. Check/continuity test the wiring harness and solenoids (i have a video that shows you how, if not sure). Also check the case connector for leaks - common issue with 4L80s

Also replace the filter as it may be partially clogged.

Let us know what you find...

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are your videos on YouTube?
I appreciate your help!
You're welcome.

Here's my Youtube video on testing 4L80E electronic components using a multimeter
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: