95 k1500 transmision advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeedonkey

Reaction score
1 year how? and btw the good transmsion is a 95 also
i have a crate motor with vortec heads witch make more power than the pre-96 trucks
tbi mods are just little things people do to the stock throttle bodys to try and get more power as i will b

1995 is a 1 year only trans vs 93/94 & 1996+ it is first year with PWM TCC valve and last year of the PWM 3-2 solenoid (it went to an on/off arrangement in 1996). you can block the 3-2 solenoid and this would be an non-issue of what year core you use. I do this on all my builds now.

4L80E swap will require the correct PROM and wiring changes. you can repin the 4L60e connector but will need to run a new twisted pair for the extra speed sensor on the 4L80e
interesting. thanks for the help

Yeedonkey

Reaction score
I have a thread on the 4L80E swap in my red truck here ('97 C1500 4.3L).

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/

I used a $500 junkyard 4L80E that came with what I assume was the stock V8 converter, it's been working great for the past five years or so. If you want something built, I've heard nothing but good things about Gearstar and Hughes.

As tayto mentioned most of the wiring can be done at the transmission connector, and there are people who sell conversion harnesses if you don't feel like repinning that yourself. More info here, scroll down to "wiring conversion."

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

The PCM info there is for LS vehicles, so disregard the two pins it tells you to run the ISS wires to at the PCM. You can find those two pins on your stock PCM by checking the factory service manual for your year, available here.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/
thanks youve been alot of help. i think im going to put my good 60 in and just see what it gets me, im not sure i have the funds or time to swap right now but will be when i get out of trade school and start getting some extra money.
Im probably going to start collecting parts as they come up so what year transmisions should i go for and what should i look out for?

PWC Repair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there a build that you recomend? how much would this cost compared to the swap cost to a bigger transmision?
While it IS pricey sometimes it's just the right move. I build my own and commonly spend 1000-1500 on the parts alone. The 'Monster in a box" appears to have just about everything needed for a performance overhaul.
The built up 4L65E lasted 40K.
YIKES! Don't let that guy do any more trans work for ya. Hell, I built a TH200c (yep, you read that right) that's behind a VERY healthy olds 350 in a G body Cutlass here in town. It's been hot rodded around A BUNCH and is still going strong.

Yeedonkey

Reaction score
While it IS pricey sometimes it's just the right move. I build my own and commonly spend 1000-1500 on the parts alone. The 'Monster in a box" appears to have just about everything needed for a performance overhaul.

YIKES! Don't let that guy do any more trans work for ya. Hell, I built a TH200c (yep, you read that right) that's behind a VERY healthy olds 350 in a G body Cutlass here in town. It's been hot rodded around A BUNCH and is still going strong.
wow i wasn't expecting that. I supose my best bet is to use the other 4l60 i have until i can aford an 80 swap. thanks for the help.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I supose my best bet is to use the other 4l60 i have until i can aford an 80 swap.

It pays to keep an eye out. I kept watching the Facespace Marketplace and found a guy locally selling an early 4L80e for $350. The deals are out there so long as you're not in a rush.

PWC Repair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketplace and found a guy locally selling an early 4L80e for $350. The deals are out there so long as you're not in a rush.
True. I bought a '96 one ton van with only 140,000 miles. L31 and 4l80. It had been sitting with a bad fuel pump. I put in some fresh gas and beat the fuel tank while my wife cranked on it. Got it running and drove it home for $400!!!