Heater Outlet Hose for 5.7L V8 with 8A5 RPO Code (140A alternator)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the quick-misconnect years ago with a brass hose barb. Initially, I cut the aluminum pipe off the original hose and used that. Unfortunately, I did not save that aluminum piece. Now, I use bulk hose for replacement. Dorman does make a new hose for use with the quick-connect, and I assume the bend fits with my CS-144.

Edit: I just thought of our engine differances.... the Dorman part is listed for my truck with a 454 and may not be correct for the 350.

The CS-144 was/is the big alternator for our trucks, and I have not had issues with it, but I don't have any added electrical load. Now days, most people are swapping in the AD-244 as it's supposed to be better at idle speeds.
The CS144 also suffers a shorter life due to heat inefficiency in its design, the rectifier gets hot. dual rectifier or remote rectifiers or just a custom cooling solution makes its stand pretty decent, but he bearing size ultimately is smaller and the onboard "computer" of the electronics has less advantagous features as the ad244 does

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The CS144 also suffers a shorter life due to heat inefficiency in its design, the rectifier gets hot. dual rectifier or remote rectifiers or just a custom cooling solution makes its stand pretty decent, but he bearing size ultimately is smaller and the onboard "computer" of the electronics has less advantagous features as the ad244 does

I have not had an issue with the CS144, are you talking about the early version on cars? I know there was a bearing change at one point, and maybe a rectifier change too but it's been long enough that I don't recall what I read about the differences being.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not had an issue with the CS144, are you talking about the early version on cars? I know there was a bearing change at one point, and maybe a rectifier change too but it's been long enough that I don't recall what I read about the differences being.
trucks will for sure have less issues with the cs144 and cs130 (cs130d too) than cars just because of engine placement, fan, openeness, but im glad. a AD244 should theoretically just last longer if two new high quality units were off to the races at the same time lol

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you even owned a vehicle with a CS144 alternator in it? my '89 Caprice cop car had over 200,000 miles with the original CS144 in it... Infact I still have that alternator and plan to put new bearings in it and swap it into my squarebody when I do serpentine accessory upgrade

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you even owned a vehicle with a CS144 alternator in it? my '89 Caprice cop car had over 200,000 miles with the original CS144 in it... Infact I still have that alternator and plan to put new bearings in it and swap it into my squarebody when I do serpentine accessory upgrade
Yes, I do infact. Ive also owned and used 10si, 12si, cs130(more than a fair share), cs130d, cs144(stated already), ad230, ad237, ad244

Some more than others but Im well aware of how long they can last. dont take what I said as a "your cs144 is gonna die in 50k"

My ad237 which is 125 amp (highest on cars before Denso alts and bosch alts) and its original 226k from 1999. still works. And many factors contribute to life span like good belt tension goes a far way

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went through 2 CS-144s in less than 80K miles. My van and Texas heat enjoyed munching CS-144s. Neither factory or new aftermarket replacement made it more than 40K.

These are the leftover factory parts after swapping to an AD-244. The CS130D to CS144 conversion pigtail was factory GM and removed as the AD244 uses the CS130D style connector.

You must be registered for see images attach

10 year old 200a AD-244 is still alive and kicking.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think part of it may have been the CS144 was badly overloaded as well. It would not even properly charge the battery at idle.
Oh yeah, low CFM and poor air flow, plus just more prone to issue rectifier, plus being low rpm and taxed that could have allowed you to mount a skillet on the top to cook up some hash browns or eggs whenever needed :)