Heater Outlet Hose for 5.7L V8 with 8A5 RPO Code (140A alternator)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I am going to convert from the 105 amp alternator (K60 RPO code) to the 140 amp alternator (8A5 RPO code). Part of the conversion requires using a different heater outlet hose. K60 uses GM P/N 15708635, while 8A5 uses GM P/N 15727640. The problem is that 15727640 is not available anymore.

For those with the stock 140 amp alternator (8A5 RPO code), what are you using to replace your heater outlet hose (#4 in the image) for maintenance?

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I am going to convert from the 105 amp alternator (K60 RPO code) to the 140 amp alternator (8A5 RPO code). Part of the conversion requires using a different heater outlet hose. K60 uses GM P/N 15708635, while 8A5 uses GM P/N 15727640. The problem is that 15727640 is not available anymore.

For those with the stock 140 amp alternator (8A5 RPO code), what are you using to replace your heater outlet hose (#4 in the image) for maintenance?

You can carefully bend the OEM aluminum tube or just replace it with standard rubber hose. The parts stores also carry lengths of heater hose with a 90° moulded bend on one end.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That piece of aluminum pipe in the heater circuit (item #4 in your image) is different for the two alternators, indeed. I tried to mangle my OE pipe to accommodate the larger ALT, but the result came out ugly and unusable... hey, I'm not a fabricator. So I went to the junkyard and found a donor GMT400 and pulled the pipe from it. Those pipes weren't hard to find, I think I grabbed a couple of them on the same trip.

While you're looking at the 140A ALT trucks for that pipe (I'm assuming you might want one), you may find a truck that also has the OE heavier wiring harness from the ALT to the mega-fuse mounted on the radiator shroud, and then heavier wiring from there to the fuse box on the driver's side firewall (see attached). If you do, you might want to grab that wiring assembly too, and use it.

You may also want the bracket that was used on the 140A alternators to provide more secure mounting, shown below as #10. From my experience those brackets came on many 140A alternators, but perhaps they don't come on all.

Attachments

• GMT400 - RPO ZM9 High-power ALT mega fuse.pdf
    790.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I replaced the quick-misconnect years ago with a brass hose barb. Initially, I cut the aluminum pipe off the original hose and used that. Unfortunately, I did not save that aluminum piece. Now, I use bulk hose for replacement. Dorman does make a new hose for use with the quick-connect, and I assume the bend fits with my CS-144.

Edit: I just thought of our engine differances.... the Dorman part is listed for my truck with a 454 and may not be correct for the 350.

The CS-144 was/is the big alternator for our trucks, and I have not had issues with it, but I don't have any added electrical load. Now days, most people are swapping in the AD-244 as it's supposed to be better at idle speeds.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That piece of aluminum pipe in the heater circuit (item #4 in your image) is different for the two alternators, indeed. I tried to mangle my OE pipe to accommodate the larger ALT, but the result came out ugly and unusable... hey, I'm not a fabricator. So I went to the junkyard and found a donor GMT400 and pulled the pipe from it. Those pipes weren't hard to find, I think I grabbed a couple of them on the same trip.

While you're looking at the 140A ALT trucks for that pipe (I'm assuming you might want one), you may find a truck that also has the OE heavier wiring harness from the ALT to the mega-fuse mounted on the radiator shroud, and then heavier wiring from there to the fuse box on the driver's side firewall (see attached). If you do, you might want to grab that wiring assembly too, and use it.

You may also want the bracket that was used on the 140A alternators to provide more secure mounting, shown below as #10. From my experience those brackets came on many 140A alternators, but perhaps they don't come on all.

That bracket is only used on the CS-144. The AD-244 hits it and also lacks a bolt hole to utilize it.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the LKQ Pick-a-Parts and grabbed a bracket and a connector. I'm going to de-pin the connector right now to see if the terminal on stock harness will fit this connector.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the terminal pins are similar. One is crimped onto weatherpack; the other is not. Thinking...

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removed weatherpack. Now to see if my crimper can crimp it well enough...