Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke Stratton

Reaction score
A way to test to see if its your switch, turn on the headlights so you can see them from inside the truck and pull the tilt lever and move the wheel up and down if your lights flash on doing this its the switch. the wires in the switch are banjo tight and over time fray and break then lights go out. The switch isn't too hard to switch out mine is a 98 and I had to pull the airbag fuse pop the bag out of the steering wheel pull the wheel, unscrew the plastic column top and bottom the bottom comes loose top is a bear to get off then pull the screws that hold the switch in place it plugs in lower down in the steering column there are a few you tube videos that show how to pull it out.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Multi **** up switch.
Pretty common problem across all GM platforms for years.
Dont ignore it. If you still have low beams dont touch it again untill you fix it.
When mine went bad I tried to flip it back to low beam and ended up with no headlights at all.
Spent the night in the truck waiting for the sun to come up.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's the whole turn signal stalk. About $100, give or take, from AutoZone/O'Reilly's/Advance
If it turns out to be the multi-function switch, I'd avoid the one from O'Reilly. I know someone who replaced at least 3, maybe 4 of those in a row. Each one failed in about 9 months. They warrantied all of them, but still...save yourself the headache.