Headers on the 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Alright. I will work extra this weekend and go with a long tube set.

Are there any adverse effects in tuning out the EGR pipe?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would tune it out if you can or have someone that can... it helps stop so much of the carb build up in the motor also keeps the un burnt gases out of the motor..

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Okay, that saves me money anyway, haha. I will stop by my local exhaust shop here in the next few days to see what they say about installing long tubes and reworking my stock exhaust.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread interests me because I've heard so much Sh* talk about headers. Alot of times I hear they work great but they can be leaky and need re torquing. Just a number of things...I need to replace my brick of a exhaust manifolds soon with something! Just in here to seek the truth although I'm TBI.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I looked it up and here is what I have found:

TBI headers are the same are Vortec headers except the EGR tube is found on Vortec headers, and the EGR is internal in the TBI. Also, the 02 sensors 'may' be in a slightly different area.

With that said, I'm ordering those Hooker ones. I have read many positive reviews on this. I am having Black Bear Performance tune out my EGR and rear 02 sensors anyway, so it will not be an issue.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you put the headers on put the red lock tight on the bolts and they will not back out just make sure you tightin them good... ive done his more then a few times and works great.. i always throw the header gaskets away and get the felpro ones PN1404.. you can get them anywhere..

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you put the headers on put the red lock tight on the bolts and they will not back out just make sure you tightin them good... ive done his more then a few times and works great.. i always throw the header gaskets away and get the felpro ones PN1404.. you can get them anywhere..

I used felpro as well. I gooped the gaskets up real good with copper gold high temp sealant and no leaks so far.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
This might be kind of a 'duh' question, but am I going to need an EGR block off once I delete the EGR tube?