Headers on the 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of shorties to go with a BBP tune for my '98.

With that said, what are the brands to use/stay away from? I have heard good things about Gibson and Thorley, and mixed responses about Edelbrock.

Also, are these going to include the 02 sensor mount up and the EGR tube, or am I going to need to have that tuned out?

Thanks for the input.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Also I am looking at the Summit Racing shorties.

From what I read they are rebadged Flowtech headers. Any good/bad info on them?

97_chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
go with hooker headers man they work alot better then shortys i had hooker header when i had my 350 with a cold aire intake they worked badass

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
long tubes give you more bottom end power.. the shortys work better over the stocks but for a lil more you can have more HP an TQ... just dont get anything over 1 5/8 primarys... i like 1 5/8's gives you alittle room to grow with more mods...

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
long tubes give you more bottom end power.. the shortys work better over the stocks but for a lil more you can have more HP an TQ... just dont get anything over 1 5/8 primarys... i like 1 5/8's gives you alittle room to grow with more mods...

I was opting for the shorties for a cost reasons. Long tubes for the Vortec are a pretty penny, and I would have to rework my exhaust if I went with the long ones. But, the TBI longtubes aren't bad at all. From what I have read I would have to weld up the O2 sensor and either weld in another on in the right location or get the 02 sensor tuned out... I am just uncomfortable with jury-rigging.

I forgot to mention, at this time I am only wanting to spend $400 on the headers. I was hoping there was a cheap-reliable option lol.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the word cheap and headers dont go hand and hand lol... take some time and save a little more you will be more happen in the long run... long tube is where the most power is.. and reworking the exhaust is a good thing lol... you will gain alot more power over the stock setup.. nd the sound is a WOW factor lol...