Headers on the 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, if you are deleting the EGR you will need a block off plate. I havent yet done it on my 96 GMC sierra but I have done it on my supercharged for lightning. I capped the header and blocked off the other end with a kit. Should be the same for the GMC when I do the headers in a month or so.

Let me know what kit you end up getting and how everything turns out.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
The Hooker Headers #520-2462 are a damn good deal, but I JUST had pipes put on, getting those I would have to get them fitted and all that..

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Okay, so I have the headers lined up, an intake-side EGR plug lined up and I am ready to order, finally.

I know that the TBI headers have 1 02 sensor to check CAT efficiency, while the Vortecs have 2. Since I am getting my rear 02's tuned out anyway, should I just weld the 02 bung shut on the Hooker headers?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont weld them, that will ruin them if you ever want to resell them or sell the truck and someone wants to put the 02 sensors in. Find something to screw into them to plug them off....

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Get a threaded "blank" and screw it in with loctite. It won't look outta place, it'll look correctly done.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Get a threaded "blank" and screw it in with loctite. It won't look outta place, it'll look correctly done.

If I take it to my local exhaust shop, should they be able to thread a blank screw in?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, tell them you do NOT want it welded under ANY circumstance. On top of it no longer being usable, weld RUSTS!!! It would take some prep work to keep the rust from forming where it was welded, and probably cost more for you than to have them screw a blank in. A blank looks like a short fat bolt, usually made of brass to keep it from seizing to what it's screwed into.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Alrighty, just pulled the trigger on my Hooker LTs and the EGR plug. Pics will follow.

And thanks MOBS, I will be sure to tell the shop that.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
No prob bud, remember to post pics of before and after(or atleast after) the change-up. Also mention anything that had to be moved, this gives the unknowing people an idea of what's involved.