GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get pics of the I 6 motor as well.
Well guys we never end being surprised. one more thing to add to the GMT-400 history. Mexican GMT-400 Silverados (base trims equivalent to the W/T series in the US) had a Tremec T4 4 speed tranny, probably most of them having them built in the case of a T5, amazing, my gear box has the Tremec logo casted in it and it is exactly the same case as the T5 and it has a T5 marked inside, though it is a 4 speed gearbox, will post pics in the week but for now here is a link that proves there were some T4s build in T5 cases and they were built for Chevrolet.

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/main-blog-page/t4-inside-a-t5-case

schwinnman67

Reaction score
Just got done reading through all these... My observations. 1995 was also an oddball year because OBD2 was being phased in, I've seen late 95's that were OBD2. The issue of full float rear vs semi float on the 8600 gvw might have something to do with the engine. My 89 C2500 had a 4 speed, 350 and 4:11 gears, but was semi floating rear. My 1995 K2500 was a 454, 4L80E and a full floating 4:11 gear.
Don't know when the change from an aluminum front splash plate to plastic happened, but I did put the aluminum one on my 95.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooooo, why did GM take 3 or so years to change the Suburbans to the GMT 400 style? I had an '88 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 2wd w/454, tbi, but it was the old bulldog style (or square as they are called now). So I guess it was a GMT 400? or not? Now I have a '94 GMC k1500 Burb, pristine well maintained always garaged one owner like new, but the 350 absolutely sucked for towing. So now it has a 383 stroker, no comparison. The truck is so perfect inside and out I decided to install an engine that would actually pull something. The 94 is an SLE and is loaded with every option, although we covered the front seats with fabric, absolutely hate leather.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I guess it was a GMT 400? or not?

No, it was still a square body (the actual GM name for the generation is Rounded Line...go figure). SUVs and crew cabs weren't GMT400s until the '92 model year when they finally got the new bodystyle.

Whether it's true or not, I've heard multiple times that the main reason they took so long to change the bodystyle on the SUVs and crew cabs is because they were never meant to be. They were going to kill them off. I still don't know if I believe it, but it's the longest overlap of generations they've ever had like that, so it does make some sense.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep, I've had the later years of 3 generations of Burbs now, and if I had a dollar for every parts clerk I've had to explain it to, how this is like the prior year/old style truck.....let's just say I could afford not to go to work for a while.....
Best thing is to have the VIN when buying parts. Or find a better parts house.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooooo, why did GM take 3 or so years to change the Suburbans to the GMT 400 style? I had an '88 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 2wd w/454, tbi, but it was the old bulldog style (or square as they are called now). So I guess it was a GMT 400? or not? Now I have a '94 GMC k1500 Burb, pristine well maintained always garaged one owner like new, but the 350 absolutely sucked for towing. So now it has a 383 stroker, no comparison. The truck is so perfect inside and out I decided to install an engine that would actually pull something. The 94 is an SLE and is loaded with every option, although we covered the front seats with fabric, absolutely hate leather.

Don't know the answer, but GM typically does this on the last few years as they wind down production of current line up. Seems like 1500 trucks get first new body style, followed by SUVs/heavy trucks and lastly the vans. My theory is they must be using all of the spare parts they have left over and piece together trucks with that, LOL. That has changed on the last body styles, obviously.

So you had the "R/V" series, right? Those were carried over and GM designated them R/V so as not to confuse them with the C/K series they had just introduced. I "think" it was just 2500 series Suburbans and 2500/3500 trucks? Most of the ones I see were crew cabs. The V-series was the last solid front axle offered by GM. In retrospect, the R/V were kinda cool: "square body" with newer generation engines.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you had the "R/V" series, right? Those were carried over and GM designated them R/V so as not to confuse them with the C/K series they had just introduced. I "think" it was just 2500 series Suburbans and 2500/3500 trucks? Most of the ones I see were crew cabs. The V-series was the last solid front axle offered by GM. In retrospect, the R/V were kinda cool: "square body" with newer generation engines.

The R/V designations actually began with all the fullsize GM trucks for the '87 model year. So, an '87 2wd regular cab shortbed half-ton is actually an R10.

ALL '88-'91 Suburbans, Blazers/Jimmys and crew cabs were squarebody trucks, so they were ALL R/V trucks, not just 2500 and up.