GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really appreciate you guys bringing this thread to the top again. I had somehow missed reading it before now and there is much to be learned here.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Not GM but when @HotWheelsBurban said Carryall, it made me think of Travelalls. But I’ve always liked these.
You must be registered for see images attach
We used to know a couple who were really into International trucks. The husband would always rag on me about how the Travelall was the original and GM stole the idea for the Suburbans, all in a jovial way of course.
Not GM but when @HotWheelsBurban said Carryall, it made me think of Travelalls. But I’ve always liked these.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
We used to know a couple who were really into International trucks. The husband would always rag on me about how the Travelall was the original and GM stole the idea for the Suburbans, all in a jovial way of course.
Growing up there was a guy down the road that had one, it took until I was older to realize it wasn’t a 67-72 Suburban.
I remember quite a few International pickups, Scouts, and Travelalls driving around Houston in the 80’s. (May have been cause they wasn’t that old then lol)

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Growing up there was a guy down the road that had one, it took until I was older to realize it wasn’t a 67-72 Suburban.
I remember quite a few International pickups, Scouts, and Travelalls driving around Houston in the 80’s. (May have been cause they wasn’t that old then lol)
You must be around my age, I remember seeing a lot of them and square body trucks too. Even a fair amount of round fender 67-72's also. Ah, to have a time machine big enough to bring back some of that nice vintage tin......

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
You must be around my age, I remember seeing a lot of them and square body trucks too. Even a fair amount of round fender 67-72's also. Ah, to have a time machine big enough to bring back some of that nice vintage tin......

I miss the “old” days sometimes. I’m 39.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Iguess being 29 isn't so bad after all age don't mean nothing to me I'll still keep dirtbiking and heading to the track till the day I die. I would like to not I have couple friends / co-workers that come up from Mexico and help us here in Saskatchewan with the farm and they claim gm made the 3500HD till mid 2003 in Mexico and you can still get a stick shift in a new Chevy 3500 but only on the cab and chassis models with gas engine only.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One day I was searching through the internet and came across this. Didnt even know there was such a thing since the gmt400 had a holden suburban. This is a 1992 Chevrolet Veraneio

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
One day I was searching through the internet and came across this. Didnt even know there was such a thing since the gmt400 had a holden suburban. This is a 1992 Chevrolet Veraneio

Very interesting! I'd heard about these but never seen one until now. Looks kinda like the child of a square body and a later 80s ferd......but not in a bad way.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that the minivans contributed more to the demise of the station wagon than sport utilities did. But if you need a " people hauler" and your family is like mine in that the people to be hauled are big and tall, what y'all fit in is what gets bought if there's a choice.
!

Toyota built a sort of minivan thing (can't remember its name) and as Australia had tax breaks on vehicles deigned to for recreational use that was the start (here at least) of what morphed into MPVs (multi purpose vehicles) or people carriers which were popular with large families and as airport/hotel/etc taxis. The Toyota I have in mind became popular with the surfing crowd as a replacement to the VW microbus/camper. For the main part though - only 2WD.

Toyota's first RAV4 offered 4WD in a compact format with a hint of the outdoor life and then the 4WD became the thing with Land Rover launching a string of family friendly 4WDs (Discovery the most obvious) marketed at down town/city dwellers who had aspirations for the outdoor life - a sort of wealth statement.

Take that a bit up-market and we're back to where this discussion started - high end Range Rovers and Escalades. But throughout all the above, there's always been a Suburban selling because of its sheer capability. The only other I can think of that is comparable is Toyota's Landcruiser range - before it too got blingy.

The GMT400 Suburban is in a sweet spot. It has everything needed without what isn't - the latter inevitably impinging on reliability and repair costs.