GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmath

Reaction score
1992 also the year head rests were introduced.
Had a 1992 Cheyanne base 2500 4x4 with them.
Now have a full load 1991 2500 silverado without them.

GMT454

Reaction score
Here is my condensed history of the 88-98 GMT400 trucks. This is a basic history of the C/K line of trucks. I posted this in the engine performance + maintenance section as there really is no other place on the forum for it...
(Links: 1 2 3 4 5) Also included, is information provided by members of this forum who have responded within the pages of this history and discussion.

GMT400s were introduced in April, 1987 as 1988 models. They started production in Fort Wayne, Ind., Pontiac Mich., and Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

These trucks featured large doors extending into the roofline and down almost to the bottom of the rocker. With a low step-up height and high headroom, it made for easy entry and exit.
The trucks featured flush side glass, a modular-assembled bonded-flush windshield, single-piece door frames, hidden roof pillars and built-in drip rails.

Trim levels included:
Cheyenne: value standard full-size work truck
Scottsdale: "a big step up in a sensible blend of function and form"
Silverado: top of the line.

Wheelbase:

RCSB: 117.5 in
RCLB: 131.5 in
ECSB:131.5 in
ECLB: 155.5 in
CCLB: 159.5 in

For total frame dimensions check this link: Frame Dimensions PDF

Quick page reference
Pg 81 RCSB C1-3500 Frame
Pg 82 RCSB K1-3500 Frame
Pg 83 ECSB C1-3500 Frame
Pg 84 ECSB K1-3500 Frame
Pg 85 ECLB C1-3500 Frame
Pg 86 ECLB K1-3500 Frame
Pg 87 CCLB C1-3500 Frame
Pg 88 CCLB K1-3500 Frame

Exterior was 3.5 in narrower than 73-87 trucks, but intrior had more leg and shoulder room and seat travel. Fleetside boxes measured 49.15in between the wheel wells and 63.8in between the side panels. At midyear, Chevy introduced a new K1500 Sportside model on the 117.5-in. wheelbase. It had a 6.5-foot sportside box with fiberglass fenders with steps built in.

2WD trucks used independent coil spring front suspension in all weight classes. 1500/2500s used a semi-floating rear axle and 3500s used a full-floating axle. 4WD had a new IFS with a hypoid driving axle and torsion bars. It utilized a wire-form design for upper control arms with lighter, stronger parts. The torsion bar springs and jounce bumpers were connected to the lower control arms. The torsion bars were computer selected to match a truck’s GVWR and balance with the rear springs. The 4x4 frame had an additional cross member under the transmission. Their new "Shift-On-The-Fly Instra-Trac" system allowed shifts from 4x2 to 4x4 high and back, without stopping, at any speed. The front axle disconnect system locked the front hubs automatically when a lever operating the 4x4 system was pulled back. The shifter connected directly to the transfer case. In 4x2 mode, the front-axle disconnect allowed the front wheels to turn freely. In 4x4 mode, the transfer case split the power equally to the front and rear wheels. The K1500 had off-road option with a front differential carrier, engine and transfer case shields, front stabilizer bar, gas shocks and heavier jounce bumpers.

Hi Just wanted to add, that GMT 400 trucks made in Ft Wayne for the Mexican market had the Silverado C-1500/2500 designtion for the work trucks with 4.1L L6 engine for the 1500 and the 5.7L V8 TBI for the 2500. both of these trims equipped a 4 speed manual transmission and a 3.45:1 Spicer differential from factory (only option on 1500 & std option on 2500) The top of the line in Mexico was badged as Cheyenne, having all of the amenities you have mentioned for the Silverado for the US Market. I own a 98 C1500 that came with the 4.1L TBI (RIP) and the 4 speed it now has a carbureted (Holley) 454ci with Headers, 3 inch true dual to cab length and flow masters.

Hope this added info helps friend. Regards

GMT454

Reaction score
mine is the Silverado trim level too, wish mine had the third door, would be way easier to get in the back

In Mexico only the "Cheyenne" trim was having the 3rd door option, even the silverado versions did not have extended cabs back then as opposite to the US the Silverado trim is the base model.

GMT454

Reaction score
Well guys we never end being surprised. one more thing to add to the GMT-400 history. Mexican GMT-400 Silverados (base trims equivalent to the W/T series in the US) had a Tremec T4 4 speed tranny, probably most of them having them built in the case of a T5, amazing, my gear box has the Tremec logo casted in it and it is exactly the same case as the T5 and it has a T5 marked inside, though it is a 4 speed gearbox, will post pics in the week but for now here is a link that proves there were some T4s build in T5 cases and they were built for Chevrolet.

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/main-blog-page/t4-inside-a-t5-case

ThundahBeagle

Reaction score
For the Blazer enthusiasts among us:

Full sized K5 Blazers were brought into the GMT 400 family for the

1992 model year using the K1500 designation. 111.5 inch wheelbase, if I am not wrong, and no longer had a removable top. Flat faced grill. The previous power window in the tailgate was replaced with a tailgate and opposing hatch. Down gate, up hatch.

1994 Blazer gets new pointier grill, third tail light, and is the last year a K sized two door is designated "Blazer." I am positive the 94 had the 4L60E, and I think the 93 has it as well.

1995: no more K sized Blazers. All two door SUV GMT 400's are now called Tahoes and have the rounded, updated dash, and I believe they introduced the four door Tahoe at this time.

1997 last 2 door Yukon

1999 last 2 door Tahoe. Which means, the last of the 2-door full-sizes GM SUV' s, at least in the US. A sad day, indeed. 30 years of 2-door full-sized SUV history was over.

Now they want to bring back the Blazer nameplate but attach it to some minivan-esque cross over. Meh. I have a 93 full size Blazer. If it ever gives up the ghost before me, I will be searching for another like it.

Last edited: