GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One day I was searching through the internet and came across this. Didnt even know there was such a thing since the gmt400 had a holden suburban. This is a 1992 Chevrolet Veraneio

You must be registered for see images attach
I've come across one for sale in UK-Holden suburban. In Australia apparently you can't run left hand drive cars so that thing had been sold there. It had a Blazer dashboard instead of regular one.Sold for 2 years if I remember correctly.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've come across one for sale in UK-Holden suburban. In Australia apparently you can't run left hand drive cars so that thing had been sold there. It had a Blazer dashboard instead of regular one.Sold for 2 years if I remember correctly.

And there's a **** load of members here who would kill to get their hands on that Holden - for its interior grab handle on its left side A pillar.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
And there's a **** load of members here who would kill to get their hands on that Holden - for its interior grab handle on its left side A pillar.
Somebody needs to get ahold of one of those handles and reproduce them! And the notched A pillar trim that goes with it too.
From what I've been told and have read, GM brought the Suburban to Australia in 1998, and sold them until 2001. They were all 4x4, the 1500 have the 5.7 vortec, and the 2500 are 6.5 diesel. Less than a thousand sold over that time period, partially due to their expense. An Aussie member who has one that he bought from the original owner, said the truck cost new around twice as much as the US version.
GM was beginning to have issues in Australia and New Zealand with the Holden brand offerings not being as popular as they had been. They brought the modified Burbs in to have a vehicle that was both Chevrolet proven and unique to Australia, tailored to their tastes and needs.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The handle itself is the same as that used on the passenger side.

All we need is the a-pillar.
If someone could get us the part #, we might be able to source a NOS pc.
Otherwise, we would need a good used part to try to reproduce from it.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AM-Stereo!!

Let's not forget the long lost luxury of AM-Stereo :D which appeared on the top line GMT400 stereos through ~1991 (the '91 brochure lists AM-Stereo as an option, but I believe it was canceled by M/Y 1992). This feature is a real historical curiosity (or oddity) of early GMT400's and other GM vehicles of the era. Read at the bottom of this post how to sample this feature.

Historical perspective:
Younger owners should realize AM stations were super popular in the 50's-early/mid 70's. Massive stations could 'skip' across the upper atmosphere and be heard for thousands of miles and some could be heard across the entire USA! Wolfman Jack radio show out of Mexico, then CA could be heard across the country on many nights (i.e. American Graffiti). Their popularity and selling nationwide ads was big business! If you were in the midwest, you'd know the names Larry Lujack, John Landecker, Tommy Edwards, The Boogie-check radio show, etc in the 70's, from WLS (Chicago), another powerful station that every radio/music enthusiast in the midwest (and states across the USA) tuned-in to hear their DJ antics and the latest rock music of the day. And there were many other powerful stations around the country, with popular DJ personalities. This was the era of Route 66 too, baby boomers, car culture, and all that. Things changed in the 70's. By the 1980's, FM's clearer delivery and broader dynamic range had taken over in terms of music delivery. There were [then] many fewer but more regional FM stations. That's how people got their music and info back then. AM-Stereo was an emerging technology advertised to be the 'next big thing' with the 'promise' it might be able to breathe life back into the decimated AM relm (due to it's longer range). It took quite a while for the FCC to settle on AM-ST approval, which might have been part of the problem with AM Stereo proliferation.

Back then, hi-fi and stereo systems were like phones today: Everyone had to have a good one, and as technology and features improved leaps and bounds, people bought a newer/better stereo systems ...home and car. The electronics industry sold the 'dream' of AM Stereo pretty hard among hi-fi enthusiasts at the time. I don't know if the average-joe really even knew it was coming down the pike, which is why GM probably only put it on the highest end stereos -- audiophiles were more likely to splurge for AM Stereo. In fact, I remember buying a new aftermarket car stereo around 1990-91 (for a car), and the main reason I stepped up to buy a TOTL Realistic unit was BECAUSE it had the 'future-proof' AM-Stereo feature (and the 'must-have' Dolby-C cassette NR feature ...which never panned out either, lol!). I did a lot of highway cross country driving back then, across the Great Plains where sometimes you couldn't find much on FM or you were in an AM-only zone ...and used the AM-Stereo function fairly often late at night. It sounded pretty good, but not as good as FM (to me). But in the end, it was more of a curiousity; not enough stations converted over, or would only broadcast music in AM-Stereo during certain times of day (evenings usually). You couldn't really count on which station might or might not be broadcasting in AM-Stereo, and when. And it never overcame static issues during weather events, like it was sold it eventually would. It was probably better suited to local (regular) AM radio listeners with a compatible and better home AM Stereo unit ...like a regular WLS music listener. Had the technology come 8-10 years earlier, and improved, who knows, it might have taken off in a much bigger way.

There are still stations which DO broadcast in AM-Stereo even to this day. Many stations are still, in fact, owned by small time operators, real radio-enthusiasts who appreciate AM-ST. There might be one in your area. We have a couple around us which broadcast in AM-Stereo ..at times. I had forgotten about the AM/ST button in my tk and tried it a couple months ago on a bonafide Am-ST station. And, yeah, it still works! You can hear the difference. It doesn't sound as good as FM (still periodic static), but yeah, I've read if a guy has a real good home hi-fi stereo (with AM-ST), under the right listening conditions, it's quite effective.

In actual GMT400 use:
The feature was only available on the top-level (optional) ETR hi-fi system in our pickups which also included the cassette player with the 5-band equalizer (note: the cassette deck has a Cr02 (high bias) and scan/repeat feature too!). If your radio has Bass & Trebble buttons on it's face, it doesn't have the AM-ST feature (according to the manual & sales brochure). Look for an actual AM-ST button on the radio, that's how you know. The technology GM used was C-QUAM (Motorola), the most common at the time, but not the only AM-ST technology at the time. So our radios won't pick up stations broadcasting in another AM-ST technology, only C-QUAM. The feature is 'always-on' therefore the radio will automatically detect and switch to Stereo in the AM (or FM) mode w/o any listener input should there be a suitable AM station in your area broadcasting in C-QUAM stereo. If you find a station broadcasting in AM Stereo, the green 'Stereo' letters will light up on the radio's fluorescent display, and you should hear the stereo separation. This next little fact is important: Pressing the 'AM-ST' button actually cancels AM-Stereo and puts the radio into Mono mode. It's somewhat counter-intuitive use of the button. "Non-Stereo may be desired in areas of high noise level." per the manual. So if you want to try it, turn on the radio, flip through the AM stations in your area (probably better at night while they're playing music) and look for the 'Stereo' light to come on, or call/website your local stations to see if they have the capability and when they use it. Sometimes it takes a few seconds after an AM station is locked-on for the 'stereo' light to illuminate, so go slow. The above information was per a 1989 C/K owners manual: pg 2C-24, any my experience.

Summary:
AM Stereo, while obscure today, was at one time a promising technology when radio was king. It is an interesting historical curiosity that made it's way into well-appointed early GM OBS pickups and cars. There doesn't seem to be a very good database of AM stations which continue to broadcast in AM-Stereo, but some still do. So if your tk has the AM-ST button and you want to sample it, you'll have to be persistent and search out stations in your region; if and when they broadcast in AM-ST, or scan through the AM band manually. Pushing the "AM-ST" button cancels AM stereo (goes mono), but you can toggle on/off to hear the difference if you find an AM Stereo station. You probably won't be overwhelmed by the quality by today's audio standards, but interesting to try nonetheless. It might be an interesting "Gee-wizz" topic amongst your later-year OBS buddies, of the 'somewhat rare AM Stereo feature' ...lol. Sorry for the long (and perhaps boring) post....

Cheers! :cheers:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, I read through all 24 pages so far. Great information! One thing I believe hasn't been stressed enough ....especially for our younger OBS owners who weren't around when the 88's came out is HOW RADICAL THE 1988 GMT400 DESIGN ACTUALLY WAS at the time. When I look at the 88-98 trucks now in hind-sight, with all the pickups which have followed, they really don't seem as revolutionary as they were at the time, both visually and how much of a quantum leap they were over the 73-87 square-body trucks.

The trucks were narrower, more glass, major sloped windshield (at the time), lower step-in height, full length door panels and no metal on the interior. They rode and drove so much better.

You'd see them on the cover of all the magazines at the time, esp the truck and off-road magazines. They quickly became the darling new customizable street machine. Lowered, chopped, and the most outrageous graphics and paint schemes. You couldn't pick up a 'Truckin' magazine in the late 80's and 90s w/o seeing some amazing OBS project that would make ya drool.

The 73-87's were fine trucks but the design got old after a while. Plus they were major tin cans and rust buckets, the 4x4 would were prone to darting around the road (I've owned and rebuilt many). You'd be lucky to get 4 years before the box sides (rear wheel arches) and tailgate would begin rusting out if you lived N of the Mason Dixon line. Credit GM for going bold for the style, making them more liveable daily drivers and family haulers. The GMT's advertised double-sided galvanized steel panels, and GM went 'smooth' inner rear wheel arch panels that didn't 'pocket' dirt, rocks, salt and moisture like the 73-87's.

Ford may have started the 'aero' look with thier 80 and 87 pickups but they still hung onto the square, angular design more. GM pulled the aero look off way better w/o making the trucks look odd-ball. The only pickup that I believe had a larger historical impact on the market of course was the all-new 1994 Dodge Ram big-rig style pickup.

Here's a fun factory sales training video to watch. Enjoy (if you haven't seen it)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was trying to find a convex mirror glass for that Holden Suburban,cause I'd like convex for driver side(I understand, that you guys in the US can't have them,by law) and thought,that maybe if they were available in Australia,that would be passenger side and they would be available. I found exactly nada/zero/not a sausage.