GMT 400 vs 90s Ford OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bringing up **** products in a Chevy forum supporting the best trucks ever created is... insulting.

Even reading that F name gives me the "someone walked over your grave" shivers. Don't do that.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't know how this compares to other parts of the country, but in the Houston, Texas area we have 3 LKQ Pick Your Part yards. I look at their website every day, to check the online inventory listings. Every day they get in a Shovelnose or two or three, at at least one of the yards. That's the 10th generation, '97-2003. Like the 2001 crapbox I had. For comparison, they get 1-3 OBS/400s in a week if I'm lucky. I'm really seeing more NBS/800 trucks coming in lately.
For what I would've spent to make that f150 reliable (transmission, radiator, water pump, timing components, plugs and coil packs, hoses) I would have had to spend more money than I bought Rawhide for, plus what I've spent on the brake booster replacements.... that's about $7K....
And I got a much more capable truck outta the deal.
I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of specific tools to work on that truck, that I could only use on that truck, and learn a bunch of new techniques for working on that truck. Maybe I'm silly for that, but I know how to work on GM vehicles, and my tools don't have to be different than what I already have, to work on GM vehicles.
My truck is not perfect, but I can live with most of its flaws. And for the most part it's been pretty reliable. If I can figure out this battery issue.... going to check on that today.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
In my opinion, the ferd 300" straight six is their counterpart to the original 12 valve Cummins. Solid engines that last forever with basic maintenance.
But the old Stovebolt Sixes were dead nuts reliable too(you're just not going anywhere fast!).

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me Ford hasn't made a good looking truck since the bumpside that stopped production in 72 I think.
Man I loved my brand new 89 F250. Zero issues in 10 years, should have kept it. But I love my 96 K1500 too. I thought the 250 was sharp looking.
You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I loved my brand new 89 F250. Zero issues in 10 years, should have kept it. But I love my 96 K1500 too. I thought the 250 was sharp looking.
You must be registered for see images attach

The axles are neat. Whoop scissors. I don't think they're great for the street though, your camber is doing all kinds of weird things.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The axles are neat. Whoop scissors. I don't think they're great for the street though, your camber is doing all kinds of weird things.
That’s not my old truck, stock photo. I see all brands with camber issues. I posted to show what I think is a cool looking post 72 Ford truck.