My son’s first truck - ‘99 K1500 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been a car guy my life and have way too many old cars, trucks, and projects in general, but my son has never shown much interest. I’ve always been a GM guy, and he’s been around literally dozens of my Chevy and GMC trucks over the years, but never paid much attention. He’s 15 now, and I had been leisurely looking around for him a truck, not really looking hard. I was thumbing through Marketplace one day, and out of the blue he says “Dad - I know we probably couldn’t find a nice one because they are so old - but I freaking love the old body style Z71’s!” I honestly didn’t he knew what that was. I started asking him questions aboutt them and he had ran across some on Instagram and fell in love with them. He goes on to say “I like the newer and older Chevy trucks alright, but the OBS is just “it” for me.” He was born in ‘07, and I’ve only had one GMT-400 since he’s been been alive, and it was 2000 C3500 GMT400 utility body truck, so kinda discovered these on his on.

I started looking around and found a pretty clean ‘99 Z71. I wasn’t even aware they ran the GMT-400 into ‘99 in the 1500 line. I knew about the 2500-3500s, but I didn’t realize they some ‘99 1500s until I found this truck. It’s pretty clean for its age, but the headlights, taillights, etc are all dull like they do and it needs a driver’s seat cover. The truck is Pewter with a blue interior, which seems like an odd combination to me, but he loves it.

He works with me in the summers, so he took some of his money he has saved and ordered new stock style headlights, parking lights, and taillights for it the day we got it. I hope working on it will make him appreciate it and take care of it. My Dad did that with me, and I still have my first car to this day.

He luckily loves the stock look and hates the squatter craze that so many kids love these days. It has new tires on it and we plan to strip, polish, and re-clear the factory wheels. Here is a few pics of it when we brought it home.
Welcome to the forum, and thats a really clean truck. I believe pewter is the best color for the 400s, Got my C2500 6 months ago and have had fun working on it with my dad. New headlights/taillights were the first mod I made once I got all the mechanical issues fixed. The rims are going to look awesome once cleaned up

67_C-30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven’t had time to post a lot lately, but a few weeks ago my sing was driving home and the intake gasket blew on his truck, resulting in it overheating and cracking the passenger side head. This was my first time tearing into a Vortec engine, and realizing the dumb stuff that GM’s engimanures did differently to a 40 year old platform that worked great was pretty disappointing. 2 of the 8 intake bolts broke off the in the head, which would have really sucked if I was reusing them. ‍♂️
I’ve long known that while Vortec heads flow well, they have a reputation of being thin cast and prone to cracking, I opted to go back with the the Dart-built Summit Vortec replacement heads. I also went back with MS98000T steel shim intake gaskets to try to keep this from happening again. I bought a set of non-TTY head bolts and got it buttoned back up. It seems maybe a little more torquey, but no much different than the stock heads.
You must be registered for see images attach

67_C-30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cleaned up everything and painted the intake base
dingy alternator and power steering brackets black. It ended up looking pretty good.