GMT 400 vs 90s Ford OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As much as I hate a 700r4 or 4L60E they were worlds better than the AOD or the later electronic version of it 4R70?. The OBD1 Furds are a royal pain with goofy junk like EGR valve position sensors and that stupid cigarrete pack shaped frequency MAP sensor. I still have the tool to change those TFI modules that make the GM HEI modules look absolutely reliable. The suspension on ALL Fords is JUNK. I cannot even begin to count how many times you would be driving behind one of those hoopties even 25 years ago and the thrust angle was off so far that riding in the passenger seat going down the road behind one, you were looking at the whole driverside and all 4 tires.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've seen the mod motors mentioned in this thread a couple fo times..... those never were put in the "OBS" Fords, if I'm understanding the term correctly as it applies to Fords.

I want to like the EFI 460, but from what I've read power-wise it was more like a TBI 454 than a L29 Vortec 454. They also got horrible mileage.... like 8mpg???

A guy I used to work with liked the 300 I6, but said the carbed engine was the better version of it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ford's 300 straight 6 is one of the best motors ever. By anyone.
I know a guy that built an injected 300, put it in a '65(?) F100. Got scallops on it ,real old school looking. He's had it at Roundup, and I think it got in a magazine or two at those shows.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only engine they had going for them was the 7.3 idi and 7.3 psd. And those engines weren't even ford engines. (Made by the thirteen letter śhit spreader company)
Yeah, the good ol' "Corn Binder" engine. International couldn't sell them in tractors so, Ford bought 'em. We had an 83 RCLB 6.9L (IIRC) 3/4T 4X4 4 speed stick shift with one and then I had a 90 ECLB 7.3L 3/4T HD 4X4 with the E4OD auto trans. I called that one my 40 acre Ford because that's what it took to make a U-Turn :biggrin:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've driven both, worked on some of each, and cussed both. They've each got their merits as have been pointed out already.

Given the choice between them in similar "good" condition, I'd go GM (not considering money a factor since I'm a cheapskate). Personally, I prefer the GM ride quality and handling. Every ford I've ever driven from old abused trucks to new under 15k miles has felt loose in the wheel to me. End of the day though, if it moves, turns, and stops safely without being a hazard to everyone else, I'll drive it.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My biggest daily gripe about my cclb on this forum. MAN I wish they'd turn better!
Same gripe with my 'Burb - though slightly better than yours. It'd be easier to lift it clear of the ground and rotate the planet underneath it before plonking it back down on its wheels. Or it feels that way at least!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Same gripe with my 'Burb - though slightly better than yours. It'd be easier to lift it clear of the ground and rotate the planet underneath it before plonking it back down on its wheels. Or it feels that way at least!
You have to plan your turns and stops, learn to get a bigger gap in traffic before pulling out into it, and know what parking lots and drive thrus to use. Most driveways in and out of lots in greater Houston, especially older areas, aren't made wide enough for a larger vehicle to get in/out of without hopping the curb or corner. And always use the turn signals....
Mom used to drive fullsize vans at one of our previous jobs, and has driven big U Haul trucks a few times. It is a learning experience though, driving something bigger than most vehicles.