GM AFM issues solved???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Has GM solved their issues with their active fuel management? I looking to swap an LS into my 90 C1500. Would be "nice" to swap as new and engine as possible but don't want to deal with the AFM issues.
Thank you!

Ken

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2008-2013 Gen 4 engines can be had for fairly cheap since there are a ton of folks pulling them out cause they have a "knock" and buying new engines to swap in. I buy them often from Oreillys as a core. The last few I bought were about $380 each and all they needed was a DOD delete. All the bearings looked great and rings/cylinder walls looked good.
Throw a cam, lifters, lifter trays, oil pump, barbell in rear driver side of block, drill and tap DOD towers in the lifter Valley and plug them with 1/8" npt plugs, remove pressure relief in the oil pan and plug that. Reassemble and go.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a van engine. They never used DOD.

Edit...I have noticed it looks like the GenV uses DOD on both the 4.3 and 6.6 in the vans. However it was never used in the GenIV. 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0L only used VVT in the vans.

Last edited:

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
2008-2013 Gen 4 engines can be had for fairly cheap since there are a ton of folks pulling them out cause they have a "knock" and buying new engines to swap in. I buy them often from Oreillys as a core. The last few I bought were about $380 each and all they needed was a DOD delete.

You must be buying the cores that have been returned to the store as there are no cores listed on the site???

I have a coworker bought what I think is an 03 , 5.3 that supposedly has 80K miles on it. He said the previous owner had the local community college auto program kids reseal the engine. He couldn't use in it to repower his vehicle for whatever reason. He's asking $425. It's complete except for one ignition coil. No ECM or harness but that's OK.

Ken

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be buying the cores that have been returned to the store as there are no cores listed on the site???

I have a coworker bought what I think is an 03 , 5.3 that supposedly has 80K miles on it. He said the previous owner had the local community college auto program kids reseal the engine. He couldn't use in it to repower his vehicle for whatever reason. He's asking $425. It's complete except for one ignition coil. No ECM or harness but that's OK.

Ken
Yes they are the engines that are returned for core charges. They wont be listed anywhere. I ask for them every time i go in the store.

'03 would be good. Even if it has 400,000 miles thats a good price.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any LS is good. My ‘10 gmc has afm/dod but has been turned off for almost 80k miles. Sure the afm/dod has issues but nothing worth being afraid of.