1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 TBI Running Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcrafter52

Reaction score
For some context I bought this truck about a week ago so I don't know much about the history of the vehicle. I got a very good deal on the truck due to the running issues so I'm not afraid to spend a little money if need be. The guy I bought it off of did not seem to have much mechanical knowledge and had his uncle do most of the the work on the truck (although I question his uncles abilities as well due to the sketchy workmanship). It was a factory 350 TBI that was then swapped with another 350 and 4L60E of the same year (out of a Camaro apparently?) that was a port injection engine. I guess they did this because they believed it would fix the issue. Even though the issue is most likely not even to do with the engine itself and is most likely a fuel or spark issue. All the TBI (and ignition?) parts got swapped from the old engine when they put it into the truck but had the exact same issue, duh. Now its in my hands.

Anyway onto the issues:

The first thing I noticed was a horrible aftermarket security system spliced into the wiring harness that someone had then tried to bypass by wiring the fuel pump directly to the battery! I have now removed all that and put the wiring harness back together. However I would not be surprised if the fuel pump is almost dead.

When I first start the truck it runs perfect however it quickly develops issues. The idle will be ok other then a slight shutter here and there but under any throttle the RPM will surge up and down especially if the truck is in gear, this is making it undrivable. If you let off the throttle quickly the truck will nearly or will stall. Overall the truck has almost no power.

Pretty much all I have done so far besides removing the security system is verify the base timing. I have a fuel filter and a whole tune up kit on the way including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil. Because the ignition system looks to be in pretty rough shape. Also the oil pressure switch was missing but I'm not sure if that would be contributing to anything.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Camaros never had a gen 1 sbc and 4L60E together. Ignition refresh is usually a good idea, check the fuel pressure and get a datalog of it doing the thing, see if it's throwing any codes.

Madcrafter52

Reaction score
Camaros never had a gen 1 sbc and 4L60E together. Ignition refresh is usually a good idea, check the fuel pressure and get a datalog of it doing the thing, see if it's throwing any codes.
Yeah I'm assuming the guy didn’t have his story straight about the engine and transmission. I'm having a hard time finding any kind of fuel pressure adapter available. Also for the data log I need an ALDL cable and a laptop right? Neither of which I have. I did use a jumper cable to read codes and there are none.

Last edited:

Madcrafter52

Reaction score
These parts may need replacing: Should help the idle, especially the O2 sensor when warmed up in closed-loop.

Yeah I was suspecting an o2 sensor as a possible issue. I pulled out the IAC and hit it with some carb cleaner but didn't change too much. I guess it's cheap enough to just replace but I think my issue goes further then that. OBD1 systems are very new to me I'm used to Carbs or OBD2 so this is definitely going to be a learning curve.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yeah im assuming the guy didn’t have his story straight about the engine and transmission. Im not sure how to do a fuel pressure test as I am unable to find any kind of adapter available. Also for the data log I need an ALDL cable and a laptop right? Neither of which I have. I did use a jumper cable to read codes and there are none.
MSI automotive offers a TBI fuel filter with a schrader valve on it . Part number 4261

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

might help you out.

new 02 sensor fixed my issue.