Glovebox won’t shut unless slammed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the latch as I never really paid attention to it when I had mine out, but the door can be removed very easily. You just open it, then push in a little on the plastic sides and pull down if I remember correctly.

The glove box on my 2000 C3500 is a little different. I had to take it out when I swapped out the original glovebox light bulb with an LED bulb. The right side of the glovebox releases by pushing in on it as described, but the left side is held on with a plastic cord with a hook on the end that attaches to the side of the glovebox. There's a release tab on the hook that you lift from outside of the glovebox, or push on with a screwdriver from the inside, then the hook slides out easily.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Right after I swapped out the glovebox light bulb and put the glovebox back in, I went to swap the right side underdash light bulb, and it broke while I was attempting to extract it, so I pulled the glovebox again to see how to remove the socket. Turns out I didn't need to, as I was able to grip the filaments on the broken bulb with a hemostat and pull it out. Hemostats are handy for purposes other than being used as a roachclip!

Reaction score
The glove box on my 2000 C3500 is a little different. I had to take it out when I swapped out the original glovebox light bulb with an LED bulb. The right side of the glovebox releases by pushing in on it as described, but the left side is held on with a plastic cord with a hook on the end that attaches to the side of the glovebox. There's a release tab on the hook that you lift from outside of the glovebox, or push on with a screwdriver from the inside, then the hook slides out easily.

Every truck I've seen with the new style interior has the little cord, or at least the provisions for it, though many seem to go missing. An equal proportion of them seem to work their way loose and remain in the dash, disconnected from the glove box.

Those cords are one thing I tend to always grab in the salvage yard, along with dash light bases and trim screws. Kind of useless to be honest, but they disappear so frequently...

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a98 Silverado and the glovebox won’t shut unless it is slammed, any suggestions on how to fix

I have three of them and they all do the same thing. I have fumbled with the one in Old Blue to no success, Distortion from years of heat and plastic I dunno, but mine has been that way for many years.

Randyb2004

Reaction score
For a 1995:
First I welded up my latch to make it about 3/32" longer, then it no longer fits in the hook. Then I filed the inside bigger by the same amount I added on the outside ( about 3/32") seems to work much better now. You could just cut the sides and extend it too ( 3/32" + the width of your cut)

If you keep slamming it, it will break off the hooks on the bottom of the door and then it will just fall off.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it redundant to say " every time you slam it closed your probably making it worse"

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
It won't hurt anything to remove, clean and lubricate the latch assembly. I like to use a dry film lube like PTFE.