Gas tank replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've been putting off, and finally started replacing my gas tank a few days ago. The tank is cracked around the fuel inlet, so it's leaked fuel whenever I try to get gas, ever since I replaced the pump in late 2018. I've only been putting about 10 gallons in at a time, because I have to barely squeeze the handle so gas doesn't dribble all over.

I work slow, and am still not done! I've all the parts cleaned up, and have started assembling the new tank.... plastic shield, pump, fill hose, foam pads. I've also gotten the fuel lines stripped from the truck up to the filter. I'm replacing them because I remembered them being in bad shape, back in 2018, and I've started smelling gas after I've been driving the truck. I guess it was just the crack in the tank getting worse. After removng the lines, I see they weren't as bad as I thought. I probbaly could have still used them. Too late now, as I cut the flex portion of the line because I was struggling with the quick connects. I ended up modifying my scissior type disconnect too to belike the low clearance version that's sold.... then it works fine.

I'm reusing the Denso pump, I installed in 2018. It works fine, and was even able to take it apart easily to clean out the bucket becasue I saw a big chunk of crap go down inside. I was not able to redily take apart the AC Delco I removed in 2018. I've been very pleased with this pump.

One concern I've had, and I asked about it a year or so ago, was the foam pads on the stock tank. Someone told me that they simply transferred them onto the new tank, which I thought was wishful thinking. Someone else, I think, suggested roofing felt. I wanted something that wasn't going to absorb water. Today, I bought some of that foam pipe insulation that's a tube with a split in it. I cut it to length and put it on the frame crossmembers where the tank sits. They stay there all by themselves becasue of the shape. I'll see how that works tomorrow.... might be too thick.

I also found that I was able to remove the OEM foam pads off the original tank without ripping them up. After cleaning them with degreaser and a brush, I found they're actually in pretty good shape, although a little compressed. Whoever told me that they could be re-used was correct. I did struggle a bit with how to re-attach them. I decided on contact cement. I found a little can for about $5. Works great.... I cleaned the area on the tank with acetone and paper towel, and then coated the area. I also applied it to the foam. Waited about 10 minutes and slapped it together.... it stuck down great with no loose edges!

It was kinda overcast today, and was actually raining for awhile, and then I really started losong light as it got later. I hope to finish up tomorrow.

Here's a few pictures:

Attachments

• 20211002_173858.jpg
    20211002_173858.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211002_141019.jpg
    20211002_141019.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211002_141008.jpg
    20211002_141008.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211002_140942.jpg
    20211002_140942.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
use peel and stick roll roofing material. it is the same as what is on the tank. just cut the pieces , peel off the backing, and stick them on. they will not come off. the fuel lines should be replaced. the kit from lines to go, converts them to neoprene, take about 15 minutes to change, and fit in the factory clips. get rid of the headache. the old lines will eventually fail, contaminate the fuel, and the new tank. 3 tanks replaced and counting.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Still not done, but got the tank up.... I never want to drop a tank again.

The pipe insulation on the crossmembers seems to be working. It wasn't too thick to get the tank in place. I got the inside of the frame rail coated in Fluid Film.

I still have to connect the fuel fill, connect the fuel lines at the front, cut some more plastic split loom and make sure nothing rubs.

Attachments

• 20211003_174951.jpg
    20211003_174951.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211003_172009.jpg
    20211003_172009.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 25

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i hear ya, dropping the tank sucks, looks like you'll be done before me thou, haha.
cleaning up the stuff is the time eater.
i'm doing the rear brake line as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
i hear ya, dropping the tank sucks, looks like you'll be done before me thou, haha.
cleaning up the stuff is the time eater.
i'm doing the rear brake line as well.

I did my rear brake line in 2018 in CuNiFe. I did adjust its position in the frame rail this time, Though. It's much closer to being in the stock location now and I removed the remainder of the original.

When I went out earlier, I noticed that I can see the new bright shiny tank in the rear wheel well. I might have to do something about that. I'm not sure I want it that noticeable.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I always paint my tanks with cheap rattle can silver. If it leaks I will know EXACTLY where the leak is.

I get to test this on Frank because the brand new tank leaks! :flame::mad:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I always paint my tanks with cheap rattle can silver. If it leaks I will know EXACTLY where the leak is.

I get to test this on Frank because the brand new tank leaks! :flame::mad:

I hope mine doesn't leak..... what did you buy? Mine is a Spectra Premium that I bought through Advance Auto.... free shipping!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I got the Summit brand tank. I'm not sure if it's the tank or the sending unit. It's likely that I got the oring in wrong!

Oh, I get nervous about that. I think I did mine 3 or 4 times just to be sure. I did swap o-rings, too. The existing o-ring that came with the pump looked fine, but it didn't fit as tightly in the new tank, so I switched to the one supplied with the tank. It was a bit tighter, but still not as tight a fit as when I was installing the pump in the original tank in 2018.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sigh..... went back to work this week, and just tried to "finish up" the truck tonight..... didn't go so well. I started off thinking I'd hook up the filler neck real quick, and then move onto actually connecting the new fuel lines. I never got to the fuel lines.

I struggled with the fuel filler and I'm still not happy with it, but hopefully it will do. Either the extra foam I used between the tank and frame throws the geometry way off, or the non-stock parts aren't quite right. If I connect the filler tube up they way I'd want it to be, to be right, it's not long enough to get to the boxside. The tank is a Spectra-Premium, and the steel filler neck is a no-name replacement I've been using since 2018. I lowered the front of the tank, and trimmed up the foam, and got the tank a little closer, and it did help a little.

I've noticed the fitting on the new tank isn't as long as the OEM. I think I've got the rubber hose as far out as I dare from the tank, and just barely on the steel tube. I probably have the clamps on the bulges, in the steel, instead of behind them. Tomorrow, I'll hook up the lines, and make sure none of that rubs, and see if it holds gas.

I need to get this thing derivable again. I've got 4 cars and only one can be driven.