Gas tank replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to get this thing derivable again. I've got 4 cars and only one can be driven.
I know the feeling. Ive got 3 trucks and I can only drive one. One is 50 miles away I bought it in June and have put a couple hundred miles on it. Loaned it to a "friend" when her car broke down. I use friend because I'm not sure what she is we all know how that goes lol. Balls in her court waiting on her to make up her mind again we all knows how that goes. I got to get my gasser 95 squared away and running right before winter comes since Im not 100% comfortable with my 6.5 starting and staying running if it gets cold like it did last year.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Sigh..... went back to work this week, and just tried to "finish up" the truck tonight..... didn't go so well. I started off thinking I'd hook up the filler neck real quick, and then move onto actually connecting the new fuel lines. I never got to the fuel lines.

I struggled with the fuel filler and I'm still not happy with it, but hopefully it will do. Either the extra foam I used between the tank and frame throws the geometry way off, or the non-stock parts aren't quite right. If I connect the filler tube up they way I'd want it to be, to be right, it's not long enough to get to the boxside. The tank is a Spectra-Premium, and the steel filler neck is a no-name replacement I've been using since 2018. I lowered the front of the tank, and trimmed up the foam, and got the tank a little closer, and it did help a little.

I've noticed the fitting on the new tank isn't as long as the OEM. I think I've got the rubber hose as far out as I dare from the tank, and just barely on the steel tube. I probably have the clamps on the bulges, in the steel, instead of behind them. Tomorrow, I'll hook up the lines, and make sure none of that rubs, and see if it holds gas.

I need to get this thing derivable again. I've got 4 cars and only one can be driven.
Get a filler hose for a 1994 C2500 Suburban diesel. Same shape (even says "TOP" on it like Franks) but a few inches longer.

Summit is out of stock, but the Dorman part number is there.

The SGT-FNH012 is in stock but no measurement

Or take a piece of the right diameter exhaust tubing a few inches long, cut the hose in the middle and clamp the tubing in the middle to extend the hose for a few days until you can fix it right. The hose I.D is 2" btw.

I'm ordering a new Sub hose (actually 2 'cuz I'm going to put the sub tank in the back!) tomorrow when I go get some bedliner @ Summit.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Boats and big trucks tend to use bulk hose for the fuel fill. Find the right hose, buy a foot of it.

Yeah, that's what I've been looking at, but am a little concerned about the bend it has to make. The connection at the tank is aimed up at an angle and the OEM hose bends down about flat to meet the steel filler neck. I've found straight hose with wire inside, and I've found angled hose without wire. I also considered using a filler neck for a flatbed, as there's one available that's basically just a short version of my original. My concern with that idea is that the hose might yank too hard on the filler that just screws into plastic. Just rolling around the options for now. I'm going to get the fuel lines connected and see if the existing setup leaks or not.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Get a filler hose for a 1994 C2500 Suburban diesel. Same shape (even says "TOP" on it like Franks) but a few inches longer.

Summit is out of stock, but the Dorman part number is there.

The SGT-FNH012 is in stock but no measurement

Or take a piece of the right diameter exhaust tubing a few inches long, cut the hose in the middle and clamp the tubing in the middle to extend the hose for a few days until you can fix it right. The hose I.D is 2" btw.

I'm ordering a new Sub hose (actually 2 'cuz I'm going to put the sub tank in the back!) tomorrow when I go get some bedliner @ Summit.

I'd do that, but that hose looks different than what I have. I just have one bend, and that Suburban hose has a couple.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well it's all hooked up.... no leaks that I can see in the fuel lines, and the filler doesn't seem to leak either, even though that rubber hose could be longer. While at the gas station, I set the handle and got on the ground and looked at both ends of the filler hose.

The lines I used are nylon, and I was a bit nervous about getting the steel ends in the nylon, but it wasn't bad. I locked the nylon hose in a clamp from a flaring tool, and pressed the steel fitting into the end with a leather gloved hand. I used my Harbor Freigh nippers to pinch the clamps. I did squeeze one of the 3/8ths clamps too hard and broke it, but I got two in the kit, and only one was needed for the connection.

I used my Dremel to wire wheel the fitting going into the "out" side of the pump, as that's got lots of miles on it. I ran the speed pretty low, and used a brass brush so I hopefully wouldn't make sparks after I dumped gas out of it. Threads got anti-seize and o-rings got some Fluid Film.

I still had some light left, so I decided to go ahead and mess with the driver's side O2 sensor that's bad.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh here's a tip.... when you get it all button back up and go to prime the system, make sure you have the fuel pump relay plugged in. It works much better that way. A couple of key cycles and bumping the schrader valve a bit and it started right up.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck drips gas only when filling the tank, and it does not matter how fast or slow the pump is pumping. I bought a new connecting hose for between the fill neck on the tank and the fill nozzle on the bed. Just need to install it to see if that fixes it.