Fuel Quality!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda surprised to hear that. I wonder what the difference is between today and the before-times when we used to think fuel was good. It seems like when I was a kid (which was forever ago) the gas in the multiple 5 gallon jerry cans in our old lawnmower shed lasted years and years. Of course we were only using it in lawnmowers..

Richard
Gas will last longer in metal containers. I keep my two stroke premix in a one gallon metal lacquer thinner can. It's remained useable for a year.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My wife has an '07 saturn vue. 4cyl, 5 speed. Of course it's a turd, and gets treated accordingly. We have gas available with 15% ethanol, cheaper than the "other stuff". Just to see how it'd act, we tried some of this corn fuel in it, and the stupid thing actually runs better. Gained 2mpg fuel mileage. It's still maddeningly slow.
From what I can tell, each vehicle likes a certain fuel. Or maybe it's a certain fuel station?
My dad used to work at an exxon fuel station that had a shop. Their fuel truck driver said most fuels are the same, it is up to the individual stations to do any additives to make it "their own".
Any chance we can get a burnout video? Lol!

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I worked for Shell, I was told that the regular unleaded (87) was pretty much the same stuff between most fuel companies. The mid-grade and premium fuels were where each company made it their own. That was 20-ish years ago, so it may very well be different now.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got nothing against Oklahoma,Arizona or any other southern state. I left Fl. once for about six months and didn't like it.

Sorry, when I hear Oklahoma that Hoyt Axton/3 Dog Night/Elvis Presly song pops in my head.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a theory to ponder.
Most modern pump gas has ethanol in it.
Ethanol is hydroscopic.
Eventually the ethanol will absorb enough moisture to fall out of suspension but until it has reached that point how much is it killing the fuel?

And what is that black mold that grows around the filler pipe and on the backside of the fuel door? Gasoline is not supposed to grow mold.