Fuel pump relay connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I looked at the fuse box closer and saw that it’s held in place by three bolts accessible from the wheel well.

I removed these and was able to remove the fuse box support. Then, after some squinting and head-scratching, I figured out how to press the plastic tabs and detach the bottom of the fuse box case. Finally, I realized that the pins were held in place by a long white locking mechanism that I pulled out from one end.

Once that was complete it was a piece of cake to remove the pins. I used a pick to pull up on the tab and pulled out the pin from the bottom.

I then pushed on the underside of the pin with a pick to tighten the preload, and with a set of pliers tightened and straightened the pin walls. I did this to one pin at a time to not lose my place.

I put everything back and put the relay back in the terminal. It sits a little more securely in there now. Time will tell whether the truck starts better when warm.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's a big block it'll be a hard warm starting pig because the injectors and regulator go bad. If it's a small block the spider assembly likes to go bad and make warm restarts miserable among other things.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's a big block it'll be a hard warm starting pig because the injectors and regulator go bad. If it's a small block the spider assembly likes to go bad and make warm restarts miserable among other things.
Small block and upgraded the spider.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welp it’s still got a hard start once in a while and when it does I don’t hear the fuel pump kick on. Where do ya’ll get your new pins?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it’s not starting, put your hand on relay while someone tries to start to see if you feel relay “click” in your hand.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel a “click” and it’s still not starting, then it’s not a loose relay.
I’d be thinking fuel pump.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pump is fine. Engine is acting on backup signal from oil pressure sender. It’s going to be either the connection or the relay. My money is on the connection.

If anyone can help me determine the right replacement pin to get that would be helpful.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it is. I had trouble starting it until I wiggled the relay. I’ve tested the relay and it tested fine.
I had exactly that too. Transpired it was a bad (crimped) connection at the pump pigtail that was the cause of my problem. How wiggling the relay that day started it remains a mystery.