Fuel pump relay connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel pump relay is sitting in the terminals loose. This is causing an intermittent connection gap. When it’s hot I have trouble starting the truck. How can I fix this? Is it possible to pull up the fuse panel and bend the terminals back? Is there an easier way?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump relay is sitting in the terminals loose. This is causing an intermittent connection gap. When it’s hot I have trouble starting the truck. How can I fix this? Is it possible to pull up the fuse panel and bend the terminals back? Is there an easier way?
I’ve heard of this issue quite a few times. Speculating here, but I wonder if you could dip just prongs of relays into solder, just to thicken them, and maybe create a better connection.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the terminals in the relay connector. You can use a pick or a small screwdriver to pop them loose, then crimp new terminals on. Or once loose you can pinch them with pliers, but I'd replace them.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically I like doing the correct fix, but getting the terminals off through the fuse box plastic housing seems to me like a nightmare.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically I like doing the correct fix, but getting the terminals off through the fuse box plastic housing seems to me like a nightmare.
If it were easy everybody would do it. Doing the job right does take time and patience but you'll only have to do it once.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace the terminals in the relay connector. You can use a pick or a small screwdriver to pop them loose, then crimp new terminals on. Or once loose you can pinch them with pliers, but I'd replace them.

Do you need to flip the fuse box upside-down to get at the connectors? I imagine I won’t have enough wire to pull them from the box right-side up.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id use a pick and tighten up the preload on the loose terminal.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few relevant points here:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hold each relay pin at its base with narrow nosed pliers and with another pair of pliers, put a twist on the pin ( a few degrees of twist is all that's needed). That will tighten the connections.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My trucks are TBI, so the relay is a solitary relay mounted on the firewall.

If you want a jank fix that works, run those wires to an independent relay.