Fuel Contamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put 93 octane in my Pathfinder yesterday evening and barely made it 1 mile home. The gas looks like pond scum. A buddy of mine shared a video of a guy that bought diesel in Illinois from 3 stations and it was all contaminated. The station I had bought "fuel" from had just been delivered 1,800 gallons the day before. I will have to file a claim with their insurance company to pay for the repair costs, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has recently found themselves with contaminated fuel. I do not have the time to drop the tank on it, but a mechanic I trust is going to pull the tank, change the OEM 12 year old fuel pump that has 115K miles on it, clean the tank and lines out and get it running for me again. Only changing the pump out because it is inexpensive and they are known to fail with less mileage and age not to mention the tank is coming out anyway.

You must be registered for see images attach
When I used to haul fuel we would all go to the same refinery to fill up the tankers. The place is very strict and secure not sure how that would cause contamination. The company I worked for would add bio to the diesel to stretch out the diesel I forgot the ratio it's been a long time. The only thing I can think of is the gas stations tanks is dirty and filled with crude all the bad fuel settles , it's better to get fuel at a busy gas station because your getting new fuel at old stations it just sits there and goes bad.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Fuel delivery truck dispatcher. It truly does all come from the same refinery. The additive package that is added during loading makes it branded. Exon, Mobile and so on.
An unbranded gas station gets all its fuel from the same refinery but without a additive package.
The ones making a killing on fuel is the fuel truck delivery company.
Let's say the refinery sells gas to the trucking company for $1.00 a gallon. The trucking company sells the gas to the station for $1.25 a gallon + a delivery charge and for my company it $500 minimum.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put 93 octane in my Pathfinder yesterday evening and barely made it 1 mile home. The gas looks like pond scum. A buddy of mine shared a video of a guy that bought diesel in Illinois from 3 stations and it was all contaminated. The station I had bought "fuel" from had just been delivered 1,800 gallons the day before. I will have to file a claim with their insurance company to pay for the repair costs, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has recently found themselves with contaminated fuel. I do not have the time to drop the tank on it, but a mechanic I trust is going to pull the tank, change the OEM 12 year old fuel pump that has 115K miles on it, clean the tank and lines out and get it running for me again. Only changing the pump out because it is inexpensive and they are known to fail with less mileage and age not to mention the tank is coming out anyway.

You must be registered for see images attach
Is that a fuel sample? Thats just water.
I have had that problem many times at both a personal level and a fleet truck level and the very first thing you need to do is document everything before your mechanic touches it.
Do not have it repaired and then try to get some type of payout based upon invoices from your mechanic.
You really cant take a complaint to the court, unless you have made every attempt to resolve the issue between yourself and the party that caused the harm and you have been denied or reached an impasse that you are not willing to accept.
Only then do you have a valid case to try to seek relief from the court.
You need to contact the gas station first and give them the opportunity to make you whole before you can establish a grievence.
You cant blindside the defendant and you cant blindside the court.
When you sue someone the burden of proof is on you.
Not them
It aint a TV show.
Its not about the jury award.
Its the legal fees.
They may or may not award you the legal fees.
They quite often split them between the parties.
A former coworker sued us for unlawfull termination.
We offered 30 grand to settle.
Nope.
So we went to court for three years and the jury gave her 30 grand.
And split the court costs and legal fees.
She owes 260,000 thousand dollars to her lawyer.
The place I worked for declared bankruptcy and reformed under a new corporate shell and we were back in business 2 weeks later.
And that is just normal everyday corporate ****.
That is why you need to be in a union.
That can be hard these days.
The rotten old ***** who claim to want new union members tend to be old narrow minded castle guards who have no interest in solidarity.
For all of you out there who are trying,
Those old turds will become relics of the past.
Thats why they are cringy assholes.
They are afraid of you.
And, most of these guys Ive met have never ever been anywhere or even tried to have an adventure in thier lives.
Never.
They are human Mason jars that Mom pickled and left in the basement.
My life, so far has been an amazing screwy strange ***********.
Dont go sit in an office my friends.
Go out and be what the **** ever and who the **** ever you want to be.
When you get old and youve never done **** all or been **** all or seen **** all.
That leaves you old and stuck in your same pool of turds.
When you get old after living like a madman you keep living like a madman as your body starts to fail.
One world, one planet, one life.
We are going to die folks.
You can chose to go out with a great past and the love of the people around you.
Or, you can spend your days as a bitter old **** determined to leave that nastyness behind when you die as some kind of a big middle finger to the world.
When they dig that hole and drop your box in the earth doesnt care,
Its all about the shovelling.
If your family sticks around and supervises the burial just to make sure they planted you deep enough that you aint gonna pop back out when it rains and then they have a big party?
Good chance that they dont think you were as awesome as you thought you were.
We are all gonna bite the pipe babe.
Thats how it is.
We only get to chose how we go.
1 Laughing
2 Crying
Pick one

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that a fuel sample? Thats just water.
I have had that problem many times at both a personal level and a fleet truck level and the very first thing you need to do is document everything before your mechanic touches it.
Do not have it repaired and then try to get some type of payout based upon invoices from your mechanic.
You really cant take a complaint to the court, unless you have made every attempt to resolve the issue between yourself and the party that caused the harm and you have been denied or reached an impasse that you are not willing to accept.
Only then do you have a valid case to try to seek relief from the court.
You need to contact the gas station first and give them the opportunity to make you whole before you can establish a grievence.
You cant blindside the defendant and you cant blindside the court.
When you sue someone the burden of proof is on you.
Not them
It aint a TV show.
Its not about the jury award.
Its the legal fees.
They may or may not award you the legal fees.
They quite often split them between the parties.
A former coworker sued us for unlawfull termination.
We offered 30 grand to settle.
Nope.
So we went to court for three years and the jury gave her 30 grand.
And split the court costs and legal fees.
She owes 260,000 thousand dollars to her lawyer.
The place I worked for declared bankruptcy and reformed under a new corporate shell and we were back in business 2 weeks later.
And that is just normal everyday corporate ****.
That is why you need to be in a union.
That can be hard these days.
The rotten old ***** who claim to want new union members tend to be old narrow minded castle guards who have no interest in solidarity.
For all of you out there who are trying,
Those old turds will become relics of the past.
Thats why they are cringy assholes.
They are afraid of you.
And, most of these guys Ive met have never ever been anywhere or even tried to have an adventure in thier lives.
Never.
They are human Mason jars that Mom pickled and left in the basement.
My life, so far has been an amazing screwy strange ***********.
Dont go sit in an office my friends.
Go out and be what the **** ever and who the **** ever you want to be.
When you get old and youve never done **** all or been **** all or seen **** all.
That leaves you old and stuck in your same pool of turds.
When you get old after living like a madman you keep living like a madman as your body starts to fail.
One world, one planet, one life.
We are going to die folks.
You can chose to go out with a great past and the love of the people around you.
Or, you can spend your days as a bitter old **** determined to leave that nastyness behind when you die as some kind of a big middle finger to the world.
When they dig that hole and drop your box in the earth doesnt care,
Its all about the shovelling.
If your family sticks around and supervises the burial just to make sure they planted you deep enough that you aint gonna pop back out when it rains and then they have a big party?
Good chance that they dont think you were as awesome as you thought you were.
We are all gonna bite the pipe babe.
Thats how it is.
We only get to chose how we go.
1 Laughing
2 Crying
Pick one
I already talked with the station owner a few minutes after it happened. I needed the vehicle up and running ASAP, so it is already fixed. I took a fuel sample off the fuel line to the rail and the mechanic I have do jobs I do not want to do took a 2nd sample out od what he drained from the tank. Its 90% dirty water. Small claims court does not need a lawyer and there are not loads of legal fees if push comes to shove. I have proof and a receipt for the trans action.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already talked with the station owner a few minutes after it happened. I needed the vehicle up and running ASAP, so it is already fixed. I took a fuel sample off the fuel line to the rail and the mechanic I have do jobs I do not want to do took a 2nd sample out od what he drained from the tank. Its 90% dirty water. Small claims court does not need a lawyer and there are not loads of legal fees if push comes to shove. I have proof and a receipt for the trans action.
Just take pictures of everything and document everything.
Take vids if you can.
I think that tank might be collapsed and pulling ground water.
Unless that tanker showed up and pumped that tank full of water.
Which I really doubt.
If the gas station doesnt immediatly repair your truck I would go after the tank records.
What was in the tank.
What did they put into the tank.
What the truck left with
Etc.
Ive been all the way through this whole ******* deal.
In the middle of a really well planned 36 hour trucking operation on a mega construction project we got fleet ****** by a remote pumping station in commerce city colorado.
Water.
We had to use our backup 94 ford f350 dually 460 with a 4:56 gear towing a 52 foot gooseneck with 10 thousand pounds of steel on a 9 thousand pound trailer .
It got 1.8 miles to the gallon.
We had to use an old gmc s15 as a chase vehicle to put gas in the ford.
The guy driving the s15 was from alaska.
He said it was the worst most boring whale hunt ever.