Front Axle issue? Dumb question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CBenZ71

Reaction score
Okay, I bought a 1999 k2500 and have been trying to get it running right. I jacked the front end up today and hand turned the tires, the entire axle shaft spun on both tires. It is in 2WD. Is this normal? I feel like maybe the bearings are bad? When I put the truck in 4WD, it violently shakes when I turn either direction.
Any advice is appreciated.

Should I go ahead and buy these and swap them out?:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B5SHBF9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_S.fVFbDFSY4YP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the actuator is locked or stuck together. Take it out and see what it does

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The axle shafts are splined to the hub and will always turn with the tires. The passenger side axle has a disconnect so that when the axle is unlocked it will not be connected to the differential. this reduces drag because the differential is still turning just much slower. The popping sound could be the axle disconnect like b454rat said or it may be the outer cv joints if it pops when turning hard. There were 2 designs of actuators from the factory 1st design heats up to actuate and 2dn design has a motor. Yours will be the 2nd design.

CBenZ71

Reaction score
Sounds like the actuator is locked or stuck together. Take it out and see what it does
To clarify, the truck does not shake when turning in 2wd, only 4wd. The actuator is what actually engages the 4wd right?

CBenZ71

Reaction score
The axle shafts are splined to the hub and will always turn with the tires. The passenger side axle has a disconnect so that when the axle is unlocked it will not be connected to the differential. this reduces drag because the differential is still turning just much slower. The popping sound could be the axle disconnect like b454rat said or it may be the outer cv joints if it pops when turning hard. There were 2 designs of actuators from the factory 1st design heats up to actuate and 2dn design has a motor. Yours will be the 2nd design.

So is the wheel hub bearing assembly supposed to spin? I does not shake when in 2wd. I will check the actuator tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

No, don't buy that garbage. Don't replace parts needlessly especially not with cheap stuff. Your OEM hubs and cv axles are better quality. You can still get decent hubs, but good cv axles are not available.... it's all cheap Chinese for oem type replacement, or rebuilds that may not be any better.

How does the truck shake? Side to side? forward and back? Up and down? Steering wheel shake?

The hubs always spin, as there is no disconnect at the wheels, it's all in the front axle.

CBenZ71

Reaction score
No, don't buy that garbage. Don't replace parts needlessly especially not with cheap stuff. Your OEM hubs and cv axles are better quality. You can still get decent hubs, but good cv axles are not available.... it's all cheap Chinese for oem type replacement, or rebuilds that may not be any better.

How does the truck shake? Side to side? forward and back? Up and down? Steering wheel shake?

The hubs always spin, as there is no disconnect at the wheels, it's all in the front axle.
Okay, thanks for that insight! Its in the steering wheel, and the tires will chirp and skip a bit when turning.

CBenZ71

Reaction score
Well. I think I may have found the shake... Looks broke to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach