Front Axle issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1999 Chevy K1500 Suburban. 306,000 miles

Bought truck about a month ago. Had a lot of issues that I have been working through a little at a time. 4wd was one of those issues. No position lights on the switch to tell me what it was in and it would blow the fuse as soon as I replaced it and turned on the key. Switch was cracked so I went ahead and replaced that but there was no change. Truck was operating in 2wd so I moved that repair back a little And worked on other things until I could troubleshoot a little further.

Fast forward till today. Drove the Truck to work. About a mile or two from work, truck jerked a little bit. Not enough to do much but enough to make me go what was that? I pulled over and didn‘T see any visible issues. Once finished I got back on the road. When I pulled in the parking lot I heard what sounded like the front trying to engage. I pulled up and went to back into a parking place and the truck wouldn’t reverse. You could tell it wanted to but something was stopping it. Goes forward just fine….except for the “ticking” noise.

ideas?

firestoness

Reaction score
Sounds like it fell into 4wd to me. Lights nor working on the switch is usually in the switch itself. Make sure you have right switch. AWD switch and 4wd switches are not interchangeable. Fuse blowing if not caused by incorrect switch would be bad actuator at transfer case or front diff. I'm sort of confident that burb should have awd in that year. Next step would be get wiring diagram and diag fuses circuit once correct switch is installed. Fuse number blown and I may be able to theorize more

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up taking to a friend's shop because I just have time to deal with it right now and I want it fixed. (Please don't revoke my man card! :) ) I work full time plus have a small farm... just not enough time in the day right now.

They agreed that it probably tried to go into 4wd and didn't make it all the way. The front diff is currently being torn down to make sure no other damage has occurred.

Yea, I do have AWD...I saw that and made sure I got the correct switch.