frame snapped in half ... what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was working on replacing the leaf springs in my truck (from 1/2ton leaves to 3/4ton) and when I got one side out, the frame snapped in half..... I parked the truck to rebuild the engine,transmission, and to work on a few other things to restore it. Then this happened... If I decide to weld it, how do I go about making sure everything is leveled/ straight, and what kind of welder?I have a little 90amp mig welder that I use for exhausts, thats about my welding experience..... I have checked craigslists for frames near me - but for the price I can get a parts truck (no money right now). My friend has a 85 or 86 that has a ok frame, it would need some work, he offered to give it to me. I am assuming that frame is different all together since the SFA and its a K20 (3/4ton). Anyone know how much different they are compared to the GMT400 ?

So what should I do? Besides find a new truck.... I ordered a transmission rebuild kit, and vortec heads for this truck - so finances are tied up since that was approx. $800....

You must be registered for see images attach

Ignore the green spray paint - was thinking of paint ideas the other day. The frame snapped right by the rear cab mount on both sides.... It even cracked the cab mount where its bolted to the frame too.

edit - also does anyone know the wheel base measurements on a ext cab short bed? Figured I could start looking at junkyards tomorrow for a "decent" frame.....

Last edited:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
:lol: I don't know what to tell you, frames don't just snap on a regular basis around here.

Ive seen 78-87s with GMT400 boxes, but I imagine mouting spots are different up front, Unless someone who has an ECSB OOBS frame around here with a GMT400 cab on it, I dont think we can be of any help.

Best advice (If I were you), find another GMT400 in the junkyard with a solid frame and snag it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
That is so sad!

On a budget though I can't recommend much other than finding another GMT400 that has been stripped down to the frame that is in good shape.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a buddy that has a 90 GMC ext cab (almost identical to mine). He never drives it, I am going to try and see if he would sell it to me for cheap. Its originally from Texas so the frame is not horrible like all the other new england frames I have seen. It looks like the junkyards local has a frame for $500. If my friend won't sell me his 1990 GMC K1500, then I will probably start calling junkyards.

I stopped and looked at a crew cab OBS on my way home - dealership wants $5995 for it (even though the frame is shot, bed and cab have seen better days as well).

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oobs won't work. I saw a guy on another forum had a 400 body on an oobs or squarebody frame and they had to weld in mounts for the cab and front.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok well I will be calling junkyards tomorrow and seeing what they have. My friend won't sell his 90 GMC, so guess that will just sit there and rot :( ........ Anyone know what the wheel base or the frame length is for the ext cab k1500 ? would upgrading to a k2500 be a wise decision ?

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
snapped clean? or broke from rust?

Any pics?

It broke from rust, not very clean and the previous owner patched a few places (guess the frame was gonna break eventually) - I will try to take a few pictures tomorrow when its light outside.