frame snapped in half ... what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking towards that route as well - any idea what size welder is recommended, and thickness of metal? I want to price thigns out so I know what to save up for..... since I just dropped close to $1000 on the heads, and rebuild kit I don't have any cash right now :(

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
like an arc welder? any idea on amperage? I see them from 90amps and higher. I just did a quick search on boxing in frames and found that it looks like 3/16" thick tubing would work.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i dont know much about welders my dad bought a nice stick then he welds frames with when i get home later ill ask him about it

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont know much about welders my dad bought a nice stick then he welds frames with when i get home later ill ask him about it

ok thanks a lot for all the info. I will be broadening my welding skills...... as well as making the truck practically brand new. Already replaced everything except the frame, and rear end on this thing. This summer I was working on the leaf springs, rebuilding the engine and transmission, and replacing the front suspension. Guess adding a frame to the mix isn't much more work.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your going that far no except for changing the cab could be a pain

Yeah, I am thinking I will jack the cab up, and roll the old frame out, and roll the new frame back under when its ready - I have lifted the bed off and that was pretty heavy, I can only imagine how much the cab with full interior and doors weigh all together.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Do not try and "broaden" your welding skills on a frame. More than likely you will make it weaker and that is not safe for anybody.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do not try and "broaden" your welding skills on a frame. More than likely you will make it weaker and that is not safe for anybody.

I have a friend that welds, so I will have him do it. Isn't welding just making sure that you penetrate well enough so it is basically molded together? I have never welded a frame, not really something I planned on doing.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Very basically but if you weld straight down the frame you just made a line where the whole frame has been weakened. Look at any decent frame repair and you will notice most have the ends at angles.