Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just received some new parts today. Now the goal is to take off the tank. Sandblast the frame where I have new access and replace the tank. Hopefully it goes smoothly
You must be registered for see images attach

EliandBessy

Reaction score
What are you using to sandblast with? I've been doing mine with just a hammer to bust rust off and scuff pads by hand removing the rest

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my example of "mission creep" may as well go in this posting. These are pics of my replacement frame. The 'outside' pic is how it sits now.

Need to get it back into the garage so I MIGHT be able to at least get it back on all 4 wheels again.

Rust removal (so far) has been using a Harbor Freight small needle scaler, grinder with wire wheels and flap discs, and a die grinder with rolac disc.

I contacted a semi-local blasting company about doing the frame. $200, which I didn't think was too bad. Thing is, I've never had, nor heard of any others using their service and didn't want to end up 'touching up' what they may miss. Not saying that would be the case but I don't like redoing someone else's work.

Last edited:

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you using to sandblast with? I've been doing mine with just a hammer to bust rust off and scuff pads by hand removing the rest
Some black glass from Menards I'm assuming it's coal slag. I can check in the morning. 200 bucks isn't bad. But you can buy a small sandblaster and 3 bags of blast material for 75 bucks. For cheap people like me. I haven't done underneath the cab yet. but soon I'll rip into it

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Why wouldn't I be able to get away with replacing just those 2 in the rear?

Well I reckon you could, but why not just do them all and save yourself the potential headaches that could follow by only halfway doing a job? It is up to you, but all the mounts are going to be original and dryrotted just like the rear ones, that's why I was suggesting to do them all.

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some black glass from Menards I'm assuming it's coal slag. I can check in the morning. 200 bucks isn't bad. But you can buy a small sandblaster and 3 bags of blast material for 75 bucks. For cheap people like me. I haven't done underneath the cab yet. but soon I'll rip into it

Yea, I've played the sandblasting game before. Only on a LOT larger scale. Think 'semi trailer propane tankers'. Big 'ol honkin' compressor and a blaster with I THINK 1" I.D. hose. Proper PPE and breathing pump.

No matter how I approached the job or how many times I checked my 'nuke suit' I always seemed to end up with coal slag in not exactly comfortable areas of my body. Could very well have been operator error.

I don't mind using an enclosed blasting cabinet but prefer to NOT mine for blasting media for a couple of days....LOL.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I was doing some sand blasting today and my gas tank support has 2 holes thru it. Anyone know the technical name this part? And I'm having one hell of a time getting the passenger side rear shackle bolt loose