Found a parts Burb - what should I grab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I happened to see a white 98 Suburban (mine is a white 95) being parted out about 20 minutes from me. These are pretty rare in my area, especially the 2500's... although this one is the 6.5L diesel and not the 7.4L gas like I have. So powertrain parts swapping will be limited.

Is there anything else I should grab off of this Burb, just to have around for hard-to-find spare parts? I can't use anything from the interior unfortunately, as I have blue leather and the donor has tan cloth. It also has crazy high mileage, like over 350k. That + the fact that it's 20+ years old might reduce the worthiness of any mechanical/electrical parts, but I figured I would ask the braintrust here.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The second row HVAC controls are discontinued I believe. Either those or the rear controls mounted in the OHC above the front seats. Maybe both... It's been a while since I've looked. Either way I bet you could sell those pretty easily even if you don't need them.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah yeah I am missing a control knob from the rear HVAC.

Guy did say rear bumper is already gone. Is the front bumper or grille any different on the diesels?

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plenty of plastic switches around, definitely! Nothing that's currently broken but I agree it would be good to have extras on hand.

HunterC

Reaction score
Ah yeah I am missing a control knob from the rear HVAC.

Guy did say rear bumper is already gone. Is the front bumper or grille any different on the diesels?
The diesel bumpers have notched out squares on the front of them but will work on yours

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't need a bumper... Would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

If you don't need extra holes for cooling or lights then no, probably not. They are a little more rare than the standard bumpers though. Might be able to re-sell it for profit if it's in good shape and you have the patience.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd want the rear axle and driveshaft/trans/transfer case.

Doors/glass any good?

Hood/fenders?

Torsion bars, control arms, steering knuckles and brakes

What's the condition of the taillights, headlights, turnsignals/side markers?