Found a parts Burb - what should I grab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Anything in the driver’s reach, touch, use normally breaks first and most often. You got any plastics like that??
I agree! That's a weak point on our trucks, comes from being designed in the 80s by bean counters I guess.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd want the rear axle and driveshaft/trans/transfer case.

Doors/glass any good?

Hood/fenders?

Torsion bars, control arms, steering knuckles and brakes

What's the condition of the taillights, headlights, turnsignals/side markers?

^^ All that body stuff looks decent from Craigslist photos, although it may be different in person. Seller says it has rust on the bottom-half rust along the body, so the door shells could be rusted out too. Although my doors are fine (hinges sag on the passenger side but that's a different issue) so I don't know that I need extras sitting around.

I do like the front bumper with the cutouts that could be used for fog lights (pictured below). Did the diesels have those lights as a factory option, and how were they secured in there? Or are those holes just for cooling? A factory-looking light addon would be an upgrade I'm interested in, if the bumper replacement is do-able with hand tools.

What's a fair price to pay for junked vehicle parts? Do you take a ratio of what they'd cost new, or what?

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The holes are for cooling. You'll also want the plastic shroud that goes with it or else none of that air will hit the radiator.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ All that body stuff looks decent from Craigslist photos, although it may be different in person. Seller says it has rust on the bottom-half rust along the body, so the door shells could be rusted out too. Although my doors are fine (hinges sag on the passenger side but that's a different issue) so I don't know that I need extras sitting around.

I do like the front bumper with the cutouts that could be used for fog lights (pictured below). Did the diesels have those lights as a factory option, and how were they secured in there? Or are those holes just for cooling? A factory-looking light addon would be an upgrade I'm interested in, if the bumper replacement is do-able with hand tools.

What's a fair price to pay for junked vehicle parts? Do you take a ratio of what they'd cost new, or what?

You must be registered for see images attach

Factory use was extra cooling on the 6.5s, lights seem to be frowned upon by 6.5 Purists for good reason.
Z71 and Limited Tahoes had factory buckets with lights that were used in these bumpers; damn near unobtainable though. I've got a set of custom made brackets on mine to hold a set of fogs.

As far as additional parts, anything you think you might need that's in good shape would be a good thing to grab.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would those bumper holes benefit my 7.4L in terms of cooling? When we camp in the summer and I tow our 9200# trailer, the engine can get pretty hot under heavy load. What would be a fair price to pay for that bumper, assuming good condition? My plastic/chrome grill piece is cracked in one spot too, I could a replacement one of those.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I added it to my dually, but it never gets hot. I still want every bit of cooling I can get. You ever blast the dirt out of your radiator and AC? They collect a lot over the years.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the forged control arms are not available, so take those...

How much is the entire truck? Do you have room to store it and pick parts as they are needed

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technically yes I have room... but my wife would kill me, so no. ;) Control arms sound like at least a jack and some heavy duty tools may be needed? I'm not too familiar with disassembling suspension. Under what kind of circumstances do those need to be replaced?