Flowmaster, good or bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read yesterday that Flowmaster mufflers are not a good choice if you are going for performance. Any agree or disagree? What muffler would you recommend. I am trying to find two that are mildly aggresive sounding but offer good performance for a true dual exhaust system. I want to be able to hear it, but not be obnoxious about it.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I read yesterday that Flowmaster mufflers are not a good choice if you are going for performance. Any agree or disagree? What muffler would you recommend. I am trying to find two that are mildly aggresive sounding but offer good performance for a true dual exhaust system. I want to be able to hear it, but not be obnoxious about it.

They are leaps and bounds better than any OEM muffler. However, in high horse power setups, eg a 350hp engine, they start to fall behind as they are chambered. I'm not a big fan of them because they drone. Other than that I think they produce a really nice tone.

Sent while drivi-

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The 10 series don't drone as long as your exhaust goes all the way to the rear of your truck. They are pretty loud tho.

The Blue Ox

Reaction score

I have used Flowmasters on a couple different trucks of mine and haven't had any problems with them! They are kinda loud and IMO, are the best sounding mufflers on the market when you stomp on it! I'm getting new system in a couple weeks and going to try the Flowmasters and the Magnaflow while getting the install at the shop! My exhaust system Guru seems to like Magnaflow and says they are making improvements on their systems.(he used to be more partial to Flowmasters )

On the down side of the Flowmasters, I've heard of someone that was losing time at the D Strip and come to find out, the baffles had come loose in the Flowmasters , plugging up his system!

sierra97

Reaction score
I have a set of super 44's with high flow cats on my 97, system is about 2 years old, all stainless steel, with the " cool dual" exit out the sides behind the axle. Never heard anouther truck sound like mine (everyone straight pipes or cherry bombs these trucks around here), might be cheaper to do so but i love the way mine sounds, my engine is stock however, but its quiet driving at highway speeds and at idle, but really gets loud when you get about 2500 rpm and crackles when you hit 3000 rpm, depending on how much on the throttle you are, personnally, i love it, expensive set up (with piping) but worth it

racer36

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like my 40 series, but, that is 3" from y pipe back, no cats, and dumped over the axle with a 4" tip. Sounds really good, not sure if it improved my hp because i had horrible straight pipes when i bought it

wadew98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Flowmaster 50, it was difficult at first trying to find one that fit my truck, because I have true duals and a single outlet.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flowmasters on every V8 I have ever owned, love them. Bought a 4cyl ford ranger that had one too, didn't quite feel the love though.