EGR: The good, the bad and the ugly??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to read more on this idea, as it seems displacing air and fuel would become lean, and how would it limit more lean operation??
Crankcase scavenged 2-strokes retain exhaust products in the cylinder in inverse proportion to throttle opening - EGR at source so to speak. Obviously, this is most acute when idling - when anything less than a richish mixture will see them die. That is due to the effect of high concentrations of exhaust products. The same is more or less true for 4-strokes when at idle a higher proportion of the charge is exhaust products that were not scavenged from the combustion chamber clearance volume.
And another interesting point, as yes a lower chember temp could lower vaporizing of the gasoline....and farther details on the??

Yes I have read that and that with the early TPI non sequential fuel injection, (batch fired) even promoted more fuel vaporazing as it sat on a hot intake valve for a micro second longer... plus helps keep the intake valve clean and new problem with Direct injection...BUT WHAT "ceased to be a concern"??
Fuel atomisation 'ceased to be a concern'.
While some of the fuel may still be in a liquid state during induction and the early stage of compression, heat transferred from the piston crown will complete the atomisation.
This last one does not compute, in a lot of road testing for MPG I have seen in every car that running at a low RPM in the highest gear has produced the highest MPG IE: 2000 Mercury GM, 30MPG at 65MPH at 1700RPMs, and 25MPG at 85 MPH and 27MPG at 80...03 Ford Explorer, 27/30 at 50MPH at 1500 RPMs and 15MPG at 75MPH at 2300RPMs....All running is top gear.
No argument - that is what I'm saying.
The only place and time when you point applies is in accelerating at a high rate to a higher speed, if a slow and steady incress in speed is not fast enought then a down shift is the best way.
A common misperception is that an engine at low rpm needs WOT to produce maximum power/torque at that rpm - it doesn't. As an example, take an engine that produces its maximum power at 4500 rpm and is running at 1500 rpm (assume a flat torque curve). The most power that engine can produce at 1500 rpm is one third of its maximum. Therefore, the throttle only needs to be open enough to flow one third of the air it can flow at WOT.
If the intention is to accelerate beyond 1500 rpm then obviously the throttle has to be progressively opened further but for merely maintaining 1500 rpm (eg hill climbing) one third throttle is sufficient. Going to WOT may produce more power/torque - but only because it invokes a pre-programmed strategy eg, richer mixture. The airflow will not increase beyond what the cylinders can ingest at that rpm no matter how open the throttle is.

Low rpm reduces mechanical and fluid friction. It isn't a universal panacea though. Heat loss from the combustion chamber will increase as there is more time for it to do so and, there may be pumping losses if running below the optimum speed for the camshaft. And, as alluded to earlier, if the throttle is opened more than necessary for the required air flow, rich mixture strategies may be invoked.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crankcase scavenged 2-strokes retain exhaust products in the cylinder in inverse proportion to throttle opening - EGR at source so to speak. Obviously, this is most acute when idling - when anything less than a richish mixture will see them die. That is due to the effect of high concentrations of exhaust products. The same is more or less true for 4-strokes when at idle a higher proportion of the charge is exhaust products that were not scavenged from the combustion chamber clearance volume.

Fuel atomisation 'ceased to be a concern'.
While some of the fuel may still be in a liquid state during induction and the early stage of compression, heat transferred from the piston crown will complete the atomisation.

No argument - that is what I'm saying.

A common misperception is that an engine at low rpm needs WOT to produce maximum power/torque at that rpm - it doesn't. As an example, take an engine that produces its maximum power at 4500 rpm and is running at 1500 rpm (assume a flat torque curve). The most power that engine can produce at 1500 rpm is one third of its maximum. Therefore, the throttle only needs to be open enough to flow one third of the air it can flow at WOT.
If the intention is to accelerate beyond 1500 rpm then obviously the throttle has to be progressively opened further but for merely maintaining 1500 rpm (eg hill climbing) one third throttle is sufficient. Going to WOT may produce more power/torque - but only because it invokes a pre-programmed strategy eg, richer mixture. The airflow will not increase beyond what the cylinders can ingest at that rpm no matter how open the throttle is.

Low rpm reduces mechanical and fluid friction. It isn't a universal panacea though. Heat loss from the combustion chamber will increase as there is more time for it to do so and, there may be pumping losses if running below the optimum speed for the camshaft. And, as alluded to earlier, if the throttle is opened more than necessary for the required air flow, rich mixture strategies may be invoked.
This is what I love about this forum, I have learned more from this one conversation than I have for a long time. Pinger you clearly know your stuff, if it is okay to ask, what is your field of expertise?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I love about this forum, I have learned more from this one conversation than I have for a long time. Pinger you clearly know your stuff, if it is okay to ask, what is your field of expertise?
I have no field of expertise! Just a life long fascination with engines and an unquenchable belief that the 2-stroke engine will prevail - if internal combustion engines feature in our world (bring on the bio/synthetic fuels!).