Evo delete without removing pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here what I can see from my wheel well

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, I can see why you’re hesitant; that support bolt near the manifold looks a bit rusty. It’s worth a shot, access from underneath may be an option as well.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see why you’re hesitant; that support bolt near the manifold looks a bit rusty. It’s worth a shot, access from underneath may be an option as well.
I'm in canada, bolts are either rusty or new.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for passing that along, that helps explain things.

So (if I have this right) a non-EVO has a fixed orifice that gives you a constant flow and discharge pressure based solely on pump speed, right?

The EVO, then, added steering wheel motion into the equation to modulate the orifice diameter and adjust flow?

And the maximum pump pressure is limited by the bypass opening at a setpoint based on the shim(s) installed under the nut?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
People have said that can cause leaks or something. Plus how has that affected steering feel I'd rather have stiffer steering, I like to be able to feel the road.
It has not caused any leaks in the steering or hydroboost. Steering effort feels the same. I notice no difference except at parking lot speeds after it started failing it would lose assist and start chatterimg for a loss of better words.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has not caused any leaks in the steering or hydroboost. Steering effort feels the same. I notice no difference except at parking lot speeds after it started failing it would lose assist and start chatterimg for a loss of better words.

I find it hard to believe that you don't notice any difference in steering effort with the column sensor for the EVO unplugged. Having experienced that in both of my '97s, I can tell you it sucks. Driving down the highway with the EVO in full boost does not feel safe to me at all.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed the sensor out, since it was easy and I think I'm gonna put off the evo delete until next spring unless the sensor fails on me before that. It's definitely improved road feel with the sensor working properly and no skidding on ice feeling. When I do the delete I may look into trimming the spring for heavier steering feel.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that you don't notice any difference in steering effort with the column sensor for the EVO unplugged. Having experienced that in both of my '97s, I can tell you it sucks. Driving down the highway with the EVO in full boost does not feel safe to me at all.
I disconnected the solenoid on the pump. No weird feeling at all. I think if it was going to feel weird it definately would have with the size and weight of a van. I never liked the feel with the system still working. Made driving in heavy crosswind gusts dangerous feeling to me because there was a lack of assist when you needed it at highway speeds.