Engine rebuild/ good cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OKay so i've got this 94 5.7 (350) chevy and wanted to know what would be a good cam for my truck (mostly driving around and towing maybe alittle racing) also what is a good rebuild kit since i have to rering i figure why not make it how i want it. SO any help would be great.
Thanks

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a stock replacement flat tappet cam kit from northern for like $90 had new lifters cam and double roller timing chain and gears.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I understand the stock cam in your TBI and mine is dog shiitttt. Is it possible to upgrade to a roller cam without upgrading other things? I'm also looking to eventually replace cam, exhaust manifolds, heads, and intake.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think so with a block that's machined for it. You'll need the roller cam, the spider thing in the valley and the dog bone lifter hold downs and I think a cam plate up front if you don't have a roller cam.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I would think so with a block that's machined for it. You'll need the roller cam, the spider thing in the valley and the dog bone lifter hold downs and I think a cam plate up front if you don't have a roller cam.

yup, Plus a different dizzy gear, i believe.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
me either but I remember them talking about it on horsepower, it was a retrofit roller setup.

The cam itself aint too bad on price but after you add in the roller lifters and the other stuff it aint cheap. IMO might be better off to source out some used stuff in good shape then buy the cam you want, I know it'd be cheaper that way.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
me either but I remember them talking about it on horsepower, it was a retrofit roller setup.

The cam itself aint too bad on price but after you add in the roller lifters and the other stuff it aint cheap. IMO might be better off to source out some used stuff in good shape then buy the cam you want, I know it'd be cheaper that way.

:word: But the GM roller stuff is plentiful for these blocks (any 1996+ 350/305 will have the stuff) and you can reuse roller lifters.