Engine died doing 70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It may be the pick up coil inside the distributor. I am NOT talking about the ignition module in it, but the ring under the rotor button. I would try a whole known good distributor as a start. Especially if you can borrow one from somewhere with a junk truck or something.

crxlvr

Reaction score
Well I have a new distributor that I will be trying this weekend along with a new Egr valve and I'm going to cut my cat off because that's probably clogged too

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your grounds to resolve the stumbling Mine also had a stumble and it was grounds loose should be one on the back of the passenger side head to the firewall then one to the frame not saying that's your problem but it was with mine

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also keep in mind It could also be a wore out cam, timing chain, or etc. with these tbi trucks it could also be mechanical I spent up to $600 on sensors trying to fix mine and it wasn't anything but a simply loose wire take your time diagnose your problem throuroly

crxlvr

Reaction score
Update. So I replaced the icm and the Egr. Engine fires right up. Once the engine reaches temperature the problems begin. Stumbling back fires. Engine died. Cranks and cranks but will not turn over now. If it cools a min or two it will start but immediately die again

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
All good advice so far.
Back-firing?
Have you installed that new distributor? My '98 had a similar prob. Yea I know. Different engine & fuel delivery system. Stiil a GM though!
Would just randomly stall. Occasionally buck or ping under power or up hills. Backfiring & coughing too. It would idle fine, but as soon as any load was on the engine, the problems would start again.
The teeth of the distributor had worn down to be knife-like sharp. This was causing the timing to vary either way from where it was supposed to be. That was messing with the computer's brain. Apparently a common prob with the GM distributers.
Had the valve covers off? SBC's are known for eating cam-shafts, too.
Just my .02. Could be out in left field with this.

crxlvr

Reaction score
I couldn't get the bolt holding the distributor off so u just replaced the icm cap and rotor from the new one

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been a lurker here for awhile but this is my first post.

The other day I drove the family from north carolina to Florida basically non stop for 13 hours. At 25 mins from my destination doing 70 the engine just turned off. Got it to the shoulder and it fired right back up but as soon as I accelerated it died again. Did this about 6 more times then I had it towed.

First place told me rear main seal was leaking badly and caused oil starvation and it seized. They also said intake mani gasket was gone. Needless to say they couldn't do this kind of job at their shop so shop 2 says I have a fuel starvation issue and that I need a new fuel pump and filter.

The only symptoms that I can relate are an occasional stumbling and if I am driving very slowly 5 - 10 mph the engine will sometimes cut off but immediately fire back up on its own.

Please help.
mine did that too it ended up being the the ECM fuse under the hood

crxlvr

Reaction score
So towed it back to another shop. Failed leak down and compression tests. They said it was toast. So I will be parting with my truck and move on to something else :'(