Engine died doing 70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crxlvr

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been a lurker here for awhile but this is my first post.

The other day I drove the family from north carolina to Florida basically non stop for 13 hours. At 25 mins from my destination doing 70 the engine just turned off. Got it to the shoulder and it fired right back up but as soon as I accelerated it died again. Did this about 6 more times then I had it towed.

First place told me rear main seal was leaking badly and caused oil starvation and it seized. They also said intake mani gasket was gone. Needless to say they couldn't do this kind of job at their shop so shop 2 says I have a fuel starvation issue and that I need a new fuel pump and filter.

The only symptoms that I can relate are an occasional stumbling and if I am driving very slowly 5 - 10 mph the engine will sometimes cut off but immediately fire back up on its own.

Please help.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
First judging by you said it starts up,, its definitley not seized, second I would check all the normal fluids i.e. oil, antifreeze etc.. assuming you have a vortec since you said intake gaskets may be bad the oil well tell the story there. Also if it is a vortec you can rent a fuel pressure gauge and check that yourself. You say the first shop said you have a bad rear main seal, is it leaking oil that's noticeable? If that's true you'll be able to tell... but some more info on the truck year engine etc would definitley help us further. :cheers:

sent from the...... ferd

crxlvr

Reaction score
Sorry it's a 91 c1500 with the 5.7. I do have to put oil in it every so often I'm not sure where it's leaking because I do not see any puddles or blue smoke. I do have in my number 2 cylinder bad rings because oil is getting on the electrodes of that plug.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Sorry it's a 91 c1500 with the 5.7. I do have to put oil in it every so often I'm not sure where it's leaking because I do not see any puddles or blue smoke. I do have in my number 2 cylinder bad rings because oil is getting on the electrodes of that plug.

That doesn't mean it has bad rings. How many miles does it have? Could have bad valve seals. There's a few different symptoms that could point out either one but the best way to check would be to leak the engine down with air.

I don't think that's your problem though, I would say fuel pump, but I would check my pressure too.

~Via Mobile

crxlvr

Reaction score
I'm thinking the rings because it's only on the electrode. If it were the seals it would be on the body of the plug too.

In any case fuel pump and filter is almost done so hopefully it's done and I can move onto to replacing all my front end parts lol.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I would guess either fuel pump or ignition module.

Let us know how it is after the pump is done.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have bad valve guides on a few of my cylinders in my truck an I get some oil on the electrodes. Kinda half my plug is dark an the other whire because oil drips into the combustion chamber over night thus kinda darkening it on the top.

Deff a fuel pump issue you got.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

crxlvr

Reaction score
Well the fuel pump did not resolve the issue. Still have the stumbling issue. They are doing the tps now.

crxlvr

Reaction score
Still cutting off. What else can be causing this. It seems the worst when accelerating up a hill. The engine will stumble and sometimes die while moving.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Trouble codes.

OBDI connector, Use a paper clip to short pins A+B and the CEL will give you flashout codes.