Engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so im sure the info is here but I just don't have time to sit here and search for it. Im going to have to rebuild my vortec 5.7. My question is who has the best parts for these engines. Ive looked on Jegs and there parts are very few. Thanks

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what kind of rebuild are you wanting to do?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
It will benefit you greatly to take some time to sit down and do research on parts, brands, etc. You'll find multiple people on here with different opinions i.e. Jegs > Summit, Holley > Edelbrock, Build a Vortec > LS Swap, etc. which will only lead to further frustration.

As asked above, what are your power goals with the truck? Keeping the factory Vortec intake system? Carburetor swap? Any plans to beef up the transmission and rear end? Plus what do you use the truck for mainly? Daily driving, weekend cruiser, etc. Lots of factors come into play on a build that you definitely want to get hammered out relatively early on to save yourself time, hassle and most importantly money.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well mainly I drive the truck from Fl to Ga to my hunting camp. I'm going to build the vortex because I have to do it a little bit at a time I'm keeping the stock intake as I've had the ecm done by someone. I'd like to you know bump it up a little. Nothing to radical. I havnt measured them yet but I'm guessing the block is bored 30 over since all the pistons have a 30 stamped in them. Is there better piston available? I'm supposed to have the better thicker casting heads or at least I paid for them when I bought this crate motor about 8 years ago. Is there a better cam? Thanks

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gear Ratio:
Well, if you're looking for more acceleration, try using the rear end ratio to 3.73 or 3.90, 4.11 gears if gas is no object.
Cylinder Heads:
I would imagine that you have Vortec heads, you could up the air and exhaust inlet to 2.02 and 1.6 and maybe have it ported and polished. I'm not too savvy with porting so others will have to help there. I guess you could also do aluminum cylinder heads.
Exhaust:
Have you tried headers? dual pipes 2.5 or 2.75 with a crossover pipe? High flow muffler? Cut Outs?
Bottom End:
I'm not sure what type of pistons you have at the moment, my guess is the cast pistons, you're always go forged or machined but that can be pricey!!! Though if you do that stroke up to 3.75 and have a 383, there are many drawbacks to that but also many pluses.
Top End:
Edelbrock top end kit. was thinking about that myself.
Valvetrain:
Try some roller rockers, it's tempting to up to a 1.6 ratio on a stock cam but it makes it odd because yes you have more lift, but not enough duration. I spoke to a Chevrolet tech and the said the max lift you should run with the press in rocker studs .520, or you could play it safe and while the heads are at the machine shop and have the screw in type. I'm not sure if you want any cam suggestions.
Side notes:
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/show/engine-masters/42026332/

I take my truck on hunting trips, then my Uncle pointed out straight pipes wasn't a good idea.
try looing for engine masters they have a lot of stuff about heads and porting.

Last edited:

nnik

Reaction score
Gear Ratio:
Well, if you're looking for more speed, try using the rear end ratio to 3.73 or 3.90, 4.11 gears if gas is no object.
Cylinder Heads:
I would imagine that you have Vortec heads, you could up the air and exhaust inlet to 2.02 and 1.6 and maybe have it ported and polished. I'm not too savvy with porting so others will have to help there. I guess you could also do aluminum cylinder heads.
Exhaust:
Have you tried headers? dual pipes 2.5 or 2.75 with a crossover pipe? High flow muffler? Cut Outs?
Bottom End:
I'm not sure what type of pistons you have at the moment, my guess is the cast iron pistons, you're always go forged or machined but that can be pricey!!! Though if you do that stroke up to 3.75 and have a 383, there are many drawbacks to that but also many pluses.
Top End:
Valvetrain:
Try some roller rockers, it's tempting to up to a 1.6 ratio on a stock cam but it makes it odd because yes you have more lift, but not enough duration. I spoke to a Chevrolet tech and the said the max lift you should run with the press in rocker studs .520, or you could play it safe and while the heads are at the machine shop and have the screw in type. I'm not sure if you want any cam suggestions.
Side notes:

I take my truck on hunting trips, then my Uncle pointed out straight pipes wasn't a good idea.
Pistons wouldn't be cast iron

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Gear Ratio:
Well, if you're looking for more speed, try using the rear end ratio to 3.73 or 3.90, 4.11 gears if gas is no object.
Cylinder Heads:
Exhaust:
Bottom End:
I'm not sure what type of pistons you have at the moment, my guess is the cast iron pistons, you're always go forged or machined but that can be pricey!!! Though if you do that stroke up to 3.75 and have a 383, there are many drawbacks to that but also many pluses.
Top End:
Valvetrain:
Side notes:

Changing to any of these gear ratios will not get you more speed it will get you quicker acceleration. If you want more speed go the other way with your gear ratios (3.42- 3.08 )

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changing to any of these gear ratios will not get you more speed it will get you quicker acceleration. If you want more speed go the other way with your gear ratios (3.42- 3.08 )
That's true, should have said acceleration.