"eliminate the obdII factory security system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I am seeking info on how to eliminate the obdII factory security system on a 97 3500HD I just bought. Bypassed the key to load it up by wedging a screw driver between the pin and lock plate. I know this can be done because I did it when I put an 95 OBDII LT1/T56 into my chevy Vega. To my memory, it was simply bypassing a modual and connecting wires, but that was 20 years ago. Anybody done the same or what do I have to do (NOT relearning a keys resistance.).

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT relearning a keys resistance.(Meaning I wasn't taking it to a dealership.)

Found this Passlock relearn procedure, will try it as it is simple to do, no cost, will let yall know.
Crank and let it shut itself off immediately.
Leave key in the run position for 10 minutes.
Turn key off for 10 seconds.
Crank truck again.
Complete a total of 3 times.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOT relearning a keys resistance.(Meaning I wasn't taking it to a dealership.)

Found this Passlock relearn procedure, will try it as it is simple to do, no cost, will let yall know.
Crank and let it shut itself off immediately.
Leave key in the run position for 10 minutes.
Turn key off for 10 seconds.
Crank truck again.
Complete a total of 3 times.
This procedure doesn't eliminate the security, that has to be tuned out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge a '97 shouldn't even have PassLock, I thought that started in '98...

But as mentioned, if you want to truly disable the PassLock system and not just fool it into working, a PCM tune is necessary.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge a '97 shouldn't even have PassLock, I thought that started in '98...

But as mentioned, if you want to truly disable the PassLock system and not just fool it into working, a PCM tune is necessary.
Yup I tried all that stuff on the Burb 3 years ago. The only thing that actually kept working, was getting it"tuned" out. Expensive, but did the trick.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a "V" vin, 97, so maybe i dont have to worry about it, got the new lock cylinder installed, going to go try to crank it after the battery install.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
cranks, no start, going to hook the Horror Fright OBDII up to see if it hints at anything else (fuel pumps pumping, no run with an air filter prime.)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Have you replaced the crankshaft position sensor yet? What about cap and rotor? Apologies if you have, and I didn't catch it. But on my Burb, when I had a "crank, no start" situation, those things fixed it. This was before the passlock went crazy though.