"eliminate the obdII factory security system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, according to EBAY, the 97-98 Chevy Truck has a Passlock Vats Anti Theft Locking Module 16244555 BXNA, anyone know where this thing is supposed to be, so I can look to see if my truck has one in that location?

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, according to EBAY, the 97-98 Chevy Truck has a Passlock Vats Anti Theft Locking Module 16244555 BXNA, anyone know where this thing is supposed to be, so I can look to see if my truck has one in that location?
found the supposed location via youtube, (its 7 am and dark here), behind the ash tray, going to go look for it, updates later.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can popular workshop computers(like snap on) disable the passlock on software level or it has to be some tuner/sofware magician job?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's going to have the module, but there's no Passlock in it. In '97s that module only controls the EVO steering. As stated multiple times a '97 should not have Passlock. To further reinforce this, if your truck did have Passlock you would notice a "Security" warning light in your gauge cluster.

Can popular workshop computers(like snap on) disable the passlock on software level or it has to be some tuner/sofware magician job?

Can't be done with a scan tool as far as I know, needs to be tuning software like HPTuners or JET DST.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, yall are right, there is no module, I just checked. but only by checking did it completely eliminate the possibility, because the 3500HD is a conglomerated vehicle, only partially built by GM, so no one can be for certain what was done to them. Now that that ? is out of my mind, I can move on to locating the real problem. As there is no security system, I am ending responses to this thread.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep forgetting that this is a 3500HD, sorry. I have no experience with them. Interesting that they have no EVO control module in '97.

@someotherguy Did the 3500HDs get EVO at all?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I keep forgetting that this is a 3500HD, sorry. I have no experience with them. Interesting that they have no EVO control module in '97.

@someotherguy Did the 3500HDs get EVO at all?
Beats me! The newest one I owned was a 1995; newest one I operated was a 1998 and fortunately never had to do any real repair work to it. Company truck and the boss had someone else working on it - thank goodness - because it had 200K+ miles of "not my truck" on it and it was always breaking down. Sometimes with really bizarre behavior..

You must be registered for see images attach

Issues and abuse aside, she'd put some cars in the lot. That truck was how I made my comeback from being broke.

Good lord man I sit here and flash back to 15+ years ago the stuff we used to do to get work done, vs. how things are today. I've been towing since 2003 and while some things don't change, others do, of course.. wow. I guess it's a situation of, IYKYK, if you don't, well, you're probably better off. :biggrin:

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seriously bro.. if your truck is a 1997 model year indicated by the VIN, you do NOT have Passlock antitheft. So stop.

The "only partially built by GM" means it's a chassis cab. The frame, suspension, engine, transmission, PCM, wiring, interior, etc. EVERYTHING is GM. The only thing GM doesn't put on there is the bed. The "upfitter" does that. Whether it's a utility bed, wrecker bed, flatbed, bucket manlift, etc. the truck is still GM.

Richard

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously bro.. if your truck is a 1997 model year indicated by the VIN, you do NOT have Passlock antitheft. So stop.

The "only partially built by GM" means it's a chassis cab. The frame, suspension, engine, transmission, PCM, wiring, interior, etc. EVERYTHING is GM. The only thing GM doesn't put on there is the bed. The "upfitter" does that. Whether it's a utility bed, wrecker bed, flatbed, bucket manlift, etc. the truck is still GM.

Richard

According to multiple websites, the cabs and frames were sold separately to a third party, who could obviously order them any way they wanted, or modify them any way they wanted, just like the Itasca RV chassis were. (The nose is certainly not factory, and its not a typical unibody van frame, I own one.)
How many HD's have you owned?, to say how original yours is. My vin says I have a 6.2 diesel, but the truck has an obviously factory installed 454. Also, the GMT400 was not the first 3500HD, I have seen 3 73-87 wreckers built on the same platform, identifiable by the same grill/bumper offset as the 88 up 3500HD. And I already admitted that the truck doesn't have a passlock module if you had read all of my posts.

Now, its obvious that my 97 has no factory security system, and I have replaced all replaceable components, to include the computer, and checked the grounds, have fuel and compression, a non molested wiring harness (except my multiple regrounds) but no fire, can anyone tell me what else to look for?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

According to multiple websites, the cabs and frames were sold separately to a third party, who could obviously order them any way they wanted, or modify them any way they wanted, just like the Itasca RV chassis were. (The nose is certainly not factory, and its not a typical unibody van frame, I own one.)
How many HD's have you owned?, to say how original yours is. My vin says I have a 6.2 diesel, but the truck has an obviously factory installed 454. Also, the GMT400 was not the first 3500HD, I have seen 3 73-87 wreckers built on the same platform, identifiable by the same grill/bumper offset as the 88 up 3500HD. And I already admitted that the truck doesn't have a passlock module if you had read all of my posts.

Now, its obvious that my 97 has no factory security system, and I have replaced all replaceable components, to include the computer, and checked the grounds, have fuel and compression, a non molested wiring harness (except my multiple regrounds) but no fire, can anyone tell me what else to look for?
That's not a 3500HD. And furthermore, there are no pre-1991 3500HD's, regardless of what you want to call those trucks.

Richard