"eliminate the obdII factory security system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to multiple websites, the cabs and frames were sold separately to a third party,
That's what a cab and chassis is....
who could obviously order them any way they wanted, or modify them any way they wanted, just like the Itasca RV chassis were. (The nose is certainly not factory, and its not a typical unibody van frame, I own one.)
I don't think that's even a GM based RV, certainly not a GMT400 based one. The upfitters aren't in the truck producing business, that's why they buy the C&C from GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, whoever and add their products (wreckers, campers, whatever) to what they buy.
You must be registered for see images attach

How many HD's have you owned?, to say how original yours is. My vin says I have a 6.2 diesel, but the truck has an obviously factory installed 454.
A 97 VIN does not say it had a 6.2, those were discontinued in favor of the 6.5 several years prior.
Also, the GMT400 was not the first 3500HD, I have seen 3 73-87 wreckers built on the same platform, identifiable by the same grill/bumper offset as the 88 up 3500HD.
The GMT 400 platform was the first time a 3500HD option was offered from GM, it started in 1991. GM used 2 digits to identify models prior to the 400's, (C10, C30, C60, etc.) so any heavy duty squares you have seen were absolutely not 3500HD's.
And I already admitted that the truck doesn't have a passlock module if you had read all of my posts.
We told you that two weeks ago, yet you were still looking for it this morning....
Now, its obvious that my 97 has no factory security system, and I have replaced all replaceable components, to include the computer, and checked the grounds, have fuel and compression, a non molested wiring harness (except my multiple regrounds) but no fire, can anyone tell me what else to look for?
If you have fuel, air, spark, and compression, the motor HAS to run. Since it isn't, at least one of those is missing.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I don't think that's even a GM based RV, certainly not a GMT400 based one. The upfitters aren't in the truck producing business, that's why they buy the C&C from GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, whoever and add their products (wreckers, campers, whatever) to what they buy.

A 97 VIN does not say it had a 6.2, those were discontinued in favor of the 6.5 several years prior.

The GMT 400 platform was the first time a 3500HD option was offered from GM, it started in 1991. GM used 2 digits to identify models prior to the 400's, (C10, C30, C60, etc.) so any heavy duty squares you have seen were absolutely not 3500HD's.

We told you that two weeks ago, yet you were still looking for it this morning....

If you have fuel, air, spark, and compression, the motor HAS to run. Since it isn't, at least one of those is missing.
Ever feel like you're talking to a wall? I peace'd out on this thread already. :) He knows more than we do.

Richard

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not a 3500HD. And furthermore, there are no pre-1991 3500HD's, regardless of what you want to call those trucks.

Richard
since you dont know what a 3500HD is, perhaps you should review https://www.tradecraftspecialties.com/3500hd,

The truck I have is certainly a 3500HD, by its equipment, frame, Frame Brace, suspension additions (Door handles, Front and rear Sway bars, Rockwell rear end, and it is practically impossible to clone a vehicle without leaving footprints somewhere, (VIN's, missing equipment, so forth.) So you are right, it is a GM designated GMT-455, but the door still says 3500HD.

And I never said the pre 87 trucks were 3500HD's, just that they were built like one, i.e., a one ton cab put on a five/ten lug P-van chassis, same as my Pace Arrow RV.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever feel like you're talking to a wall? I peace'd out on this thread already. :) He knows more than we do.

Richard
I didn't say it had spark.... and I am a former GM trained tech (Two years of GM training school, Associates Degree granted.), I just left in 11 June 1991 to go fight in the first gulf war and came back a 100% service connected disabled vet, so I obviously never trained on the vehicle I am working on now, as they did not exist at the time.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are corrrect, my error was that the chilton annotates the J code for both the 6.2 and the 7.4, I just didnt read down far enough, thanks for helping me correct that error, as I needed the info to order a replacement computer, which appears to be the cause of the no start.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
since you dont know what a 3500HD is, perhaps you should review https://www.tradecraftspecialties.com/3500hd,

The truck I have is certainly a 3500HD, by its equipment, frame, Frame Brace, suspension additions (Door handles, Front and rear Sway bars, Rockwell rear end, and it is practically impossible to clone a vehicle without leaving footprints somewhere, (VIN's, missing equipment, so forth.) So you are right, it is a GM designated GMT-455, but the door still says 3500HD.

And I never said the pre 87 trucks were 3500HD's, just that they were built like one, i.e., a one ton cab put on a five/ten lug P-van chassis, same as my Pace Arrow RV.
You might want to do some more research yourself, since you're arguing with someone who has been through multiple 3500HDs from front to back. But hey, you do you

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You might want to do some more research yourself, since you're arguing with someone who has been through multiple 3500HDs from front to back. But hey, you do you
All of us are capable of being wrong sometimes. Hell, I've even been wrong, been an ass about it, then had to come back and eat my words.

But some folks take it to a whole 'nother level!

Richard

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
as you said I dont have a 3500HD, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are two thousand toward..., eat your you do you words...

Attachments

• 3500hd.jpg
    3500hd.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 3500HD RE.jpg
    3500HD RE.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, to finish out this thread, I was told that the previous owner of my 3500HD was driving the truck and it simply stopped running, with him thinking someone stole his gas. He lost the keys and I replaced the ignition switch but the truck still would not start, so I thought it had a factory security system, but this was later ruled out.
After I replaced the computer, thinking it was bad because I was getting no signal from the tach (Powered by the ECM.) I rechecked the wiring colors to the letters on the connector. I notice in doing this that the steel sensor holder was bent, I straightened it and cranked, but no change. As these were correct through a previous rewire, I grabbed a fridge magnet and put a spark plug in the wire, put the engine on #1 TDC, turned the key on, and waved the magnet under the crank sensor (Hall Switch). When I did this I heard the spark plug fire so I knew then that the crank sensor was working and that the problem was something else.

I remembered that the person I got the truck from said the engine had been rebuilt. I wiped all the oil and sludge grit off and noticed a thickening of paint at the rim of the crank sensor hole. I scraped the paint off, reinstalled the sensor and hit the key. The truck fired up, then died. I went back and looked again and noticed that the sensor was in at a cocked angle. I took a screw driver and tapped it deeper into the hole as far as it would go. I hit the key and it fired up and stayed running. I turned it off and hit it again, again it stayed running. The entire problem was the sensor depth, again, a simple problem when finally solved.