EFI or Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
in high school in the late 90's I drove a 1980 Malibu classic, it had the tiny a$$ V8 288 or whatever the hell it was. I assume that it had a carb but it never gave me a single problem whatsoever. all I can ever remember doing was holding the peddle to the floor on very very cold days and back then winter in southern Ontario was actually cold unlike it is today.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The edelbrock carb is probably the problem. Those things are notorious. Try a holley on there. Much easier to tune. You could also get a manual choke on them. I'm not sure if that's still the case. I'm sure you could find a used one somewhere and do a rebuild on it.
Edit: I guess you can.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0...MInMCr1rKT9QIVgsqGCh3DngDYEAQYByABEgIF7PD_BwE

I used an edelbrock in a k5 blazer, which was my go-to winter vehicle for years. It was easy to tune.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The edelbrock carb is probably the problem. Those things are notorious. Try a holley on there. Much easier to tune. You could also get a manual choke on them. I'm not sure if that's still the case. I'm sure you could find a used one somewhere and do a rebuild on it.
Edit: I guess you can.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0...MInMCr1rKT9QIVgsqGCh3DngDYEAQYByABEgIF7PD_BwE

The ONLY thing wrong with an Edelbrock is its propensity to vapor lock. They're easy to tune, they hold a tune, and you don't have to tune for performance or economy, you can have your cake and eat it too.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The corvettes had a dual tbi setup. I had considered getting a holley bigger tbi for my 383. Or big block tbi. And yeah if your cam is too radical it will give the ecm a heart attack.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The corvettes had a dual tbi setup. I had considered getting a holley bigger tbi for my 383. Or big block tbi. And yeah if your cam is too radical it will give the ecm a heart attack.

The Cross-fire??? That was supposed to be a nightmare. I think some Camaros got that too....seems like I saw one at the yard, once.