EFI or Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much power can a modified TBI support ?

Always wondered about that.....................
The most you will get from a small block is about 1 hp per inch. TBI can be built to support it, if you want to spend the money.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What do you mean as in set up? its an edelbrock 650 and an hei dist. has an elec choke and will be a turd until the choke actually clicks in and decides to work? this is the second one ive had cause i thought it was a problem with the choke but this one does it too. Have to pump it 3-4 times and hold it wide open till it fires up.

And probably with an open element air cleaner, right? Sounds like generic speed parts where winter starting is an after thought. I honestly don't know how an electric choke works. Mine are bi-metallic springs in the manifold, so they're closed by default. I guess check into adjustments of the choke, and grab a factory type air cleaner with a mechanism for heating the air. Probably from an 80's truck that was carbed. Timing may also be an issue, but that's getting further into guess on my part.

The holding it wide open till it fires strikes me as a tuning issue, as that's the opposite of a choke.

I'd bet Shurkey could give some better detail on this.

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And probably with an open element air cleaner, right? Sounds like generic speed parts where winter starting is an after thought. I honestly don't know how an electric choke works. Mine are bi-metallic springs in the manifold, so they're closed by default. I guess check into adjustments of the choke, and grab a factory type air cleaner with a mechanism for heating the air. Probably from an 80's truck that was carbed. Timing may also be an issue, but that's getting further into guess on my part.

The holding it wide open till it fires strikes me as a tuning issue, as that's the opposite of a choke.

I'd bet Shurkey could give some better detail on this.
it only does it when its cold out. all summer all you had to do on cold start was pump it once and turn it over and it would fire right up but winter it just cranks for some reason

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hes actually the guy that told me i couldnt get a chip for this cam
May I ask how long ago was that? FWIU Brian Harris retired, due to health issues, a couple years ago. Anyway, a mail order tune is not the way to go. You need to data log, tune, rinse and repeat until you get your VE tables right. Then go for performance!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many people have spent many cold winters driving carbed vehicles.

I think that you need to focus more on tuning that carb.

You are squirting gas in with pumping it, then clearing that gas out by holding it wide open. Makes no sense.

Is the fuel pump working? Is the top butterfly closing when the motor is cold? Is there consistent power to the choke (if electric)?

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont need a stinkin' choke. I was stationed in Canada late 90s, had a 78 Malibu with a 400 in it. Generic Hooley 600 carb, choke was never hooked up. It got down to -40 couple times, and other than having 20/50 oil, pumped it couple times and always started. Now, it wouldn't always stay running, but it never not started. Just needed to warm up for a couple minutes. FWIW, I wouldn't mess with TBI. I'd look into Holley Term X or heard good reviews from Edelbrocks system.

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
Last edited: