EFI or Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
LS is not my cup of tea. All noise and no real grunt. Changes a bit with forced induction.

I've long been curious if a simple cam swap is the ticket there. The stock LSAs are so wide and the cams often retarded, no wonder such small cams have such long legs.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've long been curious if a simple cam swap is the ticket there. The stock LSAs are so wide and the cams often retarded, no wonder such small cams have such long legs.
While that would help to an extent by moving the intake closing earlier, much more too it then that I am afraid. Those same heads that breath so well up top actually shoot it in the foot at lower rpm and part-throttle. Even a basic 862/706 head is like putting a 210cc head on 327 or smaller cubic inch small block. Also the long rods are a low-speed torque killer. Dynamic compression ratio on a LS is weak in factory form, given the low static compression for an aluminum head engine, the wide LSA, late intake closing, and long rods and long tuned runner truck intake all work against low-speed torque. A dual plane carb intake adds about 30 ft/lbs down lower in the rpm range on even a stock LS.

Last edited: