door handle issues how can i get the door open both handles are broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammack420

Reaction score
k so someone recently tried to break into my 89 sbrc which is sitting in my car port for for the last four months because i lost my license im getting it back rather quickly anyway i went out to go fire up big dirty and i cant in the drivers door cuzz the tumbler is ruined so i had to go in to passenger door to find out both interior and exterior door handle on the divers door an done as well the inside door handle on the passenger side is done to but my main question is how do i get the driver door open to fix this its now stuck closed i have to dukes of hazzard it for now i guess but please any opinions on how to get this door open would be greatly appreciated i might try to take off the door pannel from the inside but i dont know if there will be enough room.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd call a locksmith and get him to slim jim it or something. I dunno any other option you have really.

sammack420

Reaction score
k thanks and i can unlock it from the inside but yea both handles are somehow somewhere in the door broken or unhooked im not sure haven't even tried to get it apart yet i dont have the parts if it broken so if i get it open i either want to be able to get to parts store or have the parts so im not doing it twice

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There's a long rod that goes from the outer handle to the inside handle that will come out of the platic clip on the inner panel. You can see it when you get the door panel off. It may have also have disconnected from either end.
If someone tried to break into it using a slim-jim, it might have become disconnected by their efforts.
Slim-jims do not work very well to break into these trucks. There are better ways to get into a GMT400. I've had to find them out due to my '97 having some stupid auto locks, that lock the truck as soon as it's started. If I start the truck with the door open, walk away to do something & the door closes, I'm looking at a running truck that's locked. My dog just can't seem to learn to unlock it when he's in there & that happens. Always have a spare key in my pocket now.
If you want, pm me & I'll tell you how to get into it when it's locked, or the door handle's are broken.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
On that year, you can pull the handle off, from the outside. Just pry the whole thing off with a screwdriver. Then, put your hand inside with a pair of vice grips, and pull the metal bar that opens the door. Once inside, put the handle back on and reseal it with apoxy. I had to do it once.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dog just can't seem to learn to unlock it when he's in there & that happens.

Not to hijack, but my dad had my dog with him once. He stepped out the truck (NBS) to hook up a trailer and left it running. My dog stepped on the lock button and locked the doors. Wasn't a huge deal since my dad was at home and just had to walk 100 yards to the house and get the extra key. Pretty funny though.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but my dad had my dog with him once. He stepped out the truck (NBS) to hook up a trailer and left it running. My dog stepped on the lock button and locked the doors. Wasn't a huge deal since my dad was at home and just had to walk 100 yards to the house and get the extra key. Pretty funny though.

Mine just won't let me in. He sits on the driver seat when I get out, and my truck sits high enough I can't push him out of the way to jump back in lol

sammack420

Reaction score
thanks for the feed back im gunna give some stuff a try i seen on the there sewlow58 ill pm you if i got some questions and i had a male english bulldog who could roll up and down both electric an manual windows but he never did get the locks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No probs!
i just didn't want to put on a public forum how to break into these trucks. Don't want to suddenly hear about a rash of GMT400 thefts!