Dome/footwell light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This past weekend once it got dark out, my wife told me that the interior lights were on in the truck. I checked it out, and even though all of the doors were closed, the dome light and the footwell lights were on. I opened and closed both doors, and the lights went out after doing this with the passenger side door.

Last night, the same thing, even though the truck hadn't been driven or gotten in or out of. Open and close both doors again, but this time the lights stayed on. But now, if the drivers side door is ajar and not fully closed, the lights go out. This whole ordeal has now drained the battery enough that it won't start.

Is this a door switch problem? Or a bad ground, or something going to ground? Moisture getting into the door?

It's a '90 regular cab longbed with 137K miles, for what that's worth. I hate electrical issues.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inspect where the door switch strikes and make sure the door pushes the button like it's supposed to. Push the button and make sure it presses nice and smoothly. Watch the lights and see if they go on and off as you press the button. Finally, pop the switch out and check the wiring terminal to ensure it's not dorked. It's not rocket science, but the switches are pretty chintzy.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind that those lights are switched in the ground side, not the positive side. So if it gets a ground, it will come on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the doors are sagging from worn hinge pin bushings, they can let the door gap just enough that the switch can "make" when it shouldn't. Also, as mentioned, the switches do just kinda suck. The door panel has a large plastic button that presses the switch plunger so be sure it's intact, as I have seen people leave them off. Without the button the gap is too large and the switch will make.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are going to have to do some testing. You can hook up a test light backward and that works good to find ground. So hook the lead on a positive source, then when you touch the probe to a ground, the test light will light up.

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you didn't happen to bump the 'brightness dial' (circled in red below) up to the top where it turns on the lights? i know i did that once and it took me forever to figure out why the lights wouldn't turn out

You must be registered for see images attach

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems to be a faulty switch on the drivers side. The wiring and connector looked good, but when manually operating the switch, the lights will go on/off several times during full travel of the plunger.

I've ordered a replacement switch, and pulled the battery and threw it on the charger.