Dome light question… doesn’t match issues I’ve found searching

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian71583

Reaction score
‘96 CC. New to me and been chasing electrical issues due to poor aftermarket stuff like stereos and brake controller.

When I got it the interior lights didn’t work at all. Fixed some wiring and they work now. Problem is they only turn off after a 30 second delay.

When I open a door they turn on, I tested that at all 4 doors but none of the doors shut the lights off… but 30 seconds after I close a door they shut off.

Dimmer switch is not turned to or past the click.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go hop in and try it? lol. It should go off or whatever when you put the key in, or turn the ignition. My 01 F150 does it. Id check my 98, but going to do something different with the interior lights, and haven't messed with them. I just couldnt remember this on the OBS's Ive drove in the past, but they were all pre 94.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When using keyless entry, lights on till timer runs down or turn ignition switch. On my 95 just opening and closing door manually light comes on then close door light off no delay.
A Lot of things are changed or act a little different with year 96 and up.
Either read the OE service manual description or reference the owners hand book. Little things change.

Brian71583

Reaction score
Go hop in and try it? lol. It should go off or whatever when you put the key in, or turn the ignition. My 01 F150 does it. Id check my 98, but going to do something different with the interior lights, and haven't messed with them. I just couldnt remember this on the OBS's Ive drove in the past, but they were all pre 94.
Go hop in n try?? I'm not speculating on what I think its doing, im telling what its doing lol

I would assume like most vehicles it would either turn off with the doors or have a time delay like it does… but I’d think key in would over ride the time delay. The key has no effect on dome light turning off. Even with the key in and on, dome light takes 30 seconds to turn off.

Looks like maybe that’s normal operation but that it surprising to me.

Brian71583

Reaction score
When using keyless entry, lights on till timer runs down or turn ignition switch. On my 95 just opening and closing door manually light comes on then close door light off no delay.
A Lot of things are changed or act a little different with year 96 and up.
Either read the OE service manual description or reference the owners hand book. Little things change.
I’m unsure what it would do keyless. Truck is equipped but I didn’t get a FOB with it.

But key in door open light comes on, door closes stays on for 30’seconds then shuts off even if it’s running

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
So if I were to hop in and drive my done light should be on for the first 30 seconds down the road? That sounds unsafe at night and I don’t remember my ‘98 work truck I had previously doing that
That is not what you stated in your opening statement. The lights will turn off once you start the truck .

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
88-94 had no controller for dome lighting, 95+ does. Normal operation is key out, open door, lights turn on and stay on to 30 seconds after closing all doors. Only key in to run/start should have them shut off instantly with door closure. The gauges fuse supplies power to the control module with the key in run/start, so if your gauges all work, then you may have an open wire between the fuse and the control module, which is mounted to the right side of the steering wheel bracket behind the dash.

Actually that fuse runs a bunch of stuff, namely everything on the bottom row in this pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_103316_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_103316_Firefox.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 21