Disassembling the G80 carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haroldwca

Reaction score
I'm enjoying my recent discovery of this forum. New to GMT400s, coming from Squarebody Land. Here is a short description of my problem that I am trying to solve.

My differential produces a clunk that occurs as I accelerate from a complete stop. My inspection of the internals of the rear axle assembly showed that there is a pronounced slack in the movement of the spider gear set. I would like to replace these gears, but this requires removing the thrust block. According to one blog, there are two pins holding the block in place that must be driven out. The only problem is that I don't see a way to do that. (I do realize that this will necessitate removing the diff carrier from the axle housing.) One blog I viewed showed two holes on the left side of the carrier that allow a punch to drive out the retaining pins. My carrier doesn't appear to have these holes. Does anyone know if there are different arrangements for retaining the thrust block in varying ways. If so, what might I be looking for? Thanks for any suggestions.